Improving my Kona Dew Hybrid--suggestions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
I have had my hybrid for about a year now and love it.
I have decided I want to keep it for the long term but would like some ideas on some weight saving and/or general upgrades I could consider.
I ride back and forth to work (short trip) and do about 40-50 miles on the seafront leisure cycling but try to have a bit of a go now and then. (47 yr old, could be lighter but generally fairly fit all things considered)
Here are some pics of it.
I have upgraded the brake calipers, saddle, handlebars, headset (Mongo one as the last one went; not had this for long).
Added mudguards and also Ergon Grips and Shimano 'Saint' Pedals.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
(Also, please don't judge the dirt; bike needs some tlc but haven't got time until later this week)
20160918_144052.jpg
20160918_144058.jpg
20160918_143953.jpg
20160918_144003.jpg
20160918_144028.jpg
20160918_144031.jpg
20160918_144039.jpg
20160918_144044.jpg

Attachments

• 20160918_143959.jpg
    20160918_143959.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 92
Are you after comfort or speed, if its the latter you may try narrower tyres.
You may also consider going clipless.

S-Express

That's never going to be a light bike. Functional - yes. Light - no. Save your money and spend it on something more suited to purpose.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ditch the nimbus. They're sticky as heck and not very supple. If you want tough protection, Schwalbe Marathon roll better. (Regular marathon is usually good enough IMO. Marathon plus are hard like nimbus but at least they offer good protection for longer.)

si_c

Guru
Ditch the nimbus. They're sticky as heck and not very supple. If you want tough protection, Schwalbe Marathon are better.
Yeah a good set of tyres will make a noticeable difference, anything else not so much. Weight saving is one of those things that you save 10 grams here and 10 there whilst spending 100s of £££s.

You're better spending time keeping it well maintained, which you already appear to be doing.

Only other thing you could do after a year's use is change the cable inner and outers, which should keep things going smoothly for another year.

OP
OP
SuperHans123

SuperHans123

Are you after comfort or speed, if its the latter you may try narrower tyres.
You may also consider going clipless.
I am after a bit of both to be honest. I am not interested in road bikes as have now pedalled around 8000 miles in the last 3 and a half years and love the upright position.
I tried clipped in, recently again but just seem to get lactic leg pain regardless of how I position the cleat.
That's never going to be a light bike. Functional - yes. Light - no. Save your money and spend it on something more suited to purpose.
My purposes is 40 miles a week enjoyment/fitness riding and a short 1.5 mile commute each way every day...not sure I have a purpose!
You definitely need a new tennis ball
That is one of my dog's collection of around 3000 balls in the back garden.
Ditch the nimbus. They're sticky as heck and not very supple. If you want tough protection, Schwalbe Marathon roll better. (Regular marathon is usually good enough IMO. Marathon plus are hard like nimbus but at least they offer good protection for longer.)
I have heard Schwalbes are very good. My LBS has a 20% off sale every January, so will source some of those then.
Yeah a good set of tyres will make a noticeable difference, anything else not so much. Weight saving is one of those things that you save 10 grams here and 10 there whilst spending 100s of £££s.
I may try and go thinner than the current 32s but this is an all year round bike, the wider tyre makes more 'all year round' sense.

You're better spending time keeping it well maintained, which you already appear to be doing.

Only other thing you could do after a year's use is change the cable inner and outers, which should keep things going smoothly for another year.
Thanks for advice, will add that to the list of things to do.

Reactions: mjr

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I presume your "seafront cycling" is, in the main, on the flat. If that's the case forget about reducing the bike's weight. The effect will be so negligible as to be unmeasurable (other than on your wallet).

The folk who say change your tyres are right. It's a cheap thing to do and the reduced rolling resistance will be noticeable. Clipless pedals won't make you go faster. They are only useful to make sure your feet are in the right place all the time. If you're happy with your pedals then stick with them

If you want to go faster you need to get fitter (what a surprise). But the other thing is your position on the bike has quite a dramatic effect. Hybrids encourage upright posture which is nice and comfy but very inefficient from an aerodynamic point of view. There isn't much you can do about this as you have said you want to stick with a hybrid cos it's comfy. If you change your mind and swap out for a "road bike" your position will be less comfy but faster

+1 on tyres,as an alternative to the marathons how about something like Vittoria Voyager hypers and very cheap at Planet X;

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/vittoria-voyager-hyper-folding-tyre

Also you could upgrade the drivetrain with LX/Deore kit(might depend on what cassette the rear wheel can take);won't make any speed difference but should be a bit slicker in shifting.

Depends how much you want to spend really,you could go mad and fit loads of light MTB stuff and some better wheels but it's doubtful if it would make much difference but it would look nice^_^.

si_c

Guru
If you change your mind and swap out for a "road bike" your position will be less comfy but faster
I'd argue with the less comfy point, it may well be awkward and uncomfortable initially, but road bikes can be very comfortable to ride, particularly once you've accustomed yourself to the position. By road bike I'm not assuming an out and out race bike.

OP
OP
SuperHans123

SuperHans123

I love the riding position of my hybrid and spend the majority of my time on cycle paths and like it that I have no issues going on bits of off road if I need to take short cuts. I have absolutely no interest in getting a road bike even though this goes against what most people told me when I restarted cycling 3 or so years ago.

Top Bottom