In case of injury in a remote location?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rrarider

Veteran
I think that most smartphones have a GPS capability. For Android phones, and I guess for iphones, there are free apps which will give a latitude/longitude and an OS reference. I think for a remote location that will be of more use than a postcode, as there may not be many premises out on a moor somewhere, so a postcode could span a large area.
I think that carrying an unlocked phone on a bike has another great benefit to a cyclist, as when I had a severe head injury out alone on my bike 3 years ago, it was the only way that the police and hospital could find out my identity whilst I lay unconscious in intensive care. It also enabled them to phone an appropriate person.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Prices appear to have gone up!

Not half!
Still worth it for using in the original scenario of this thread I'd say.

IIRC mine was a little over £18 and is the 3G model, whereas the 4G version was then £40. I'm still thinking of getting another to fit to the car.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I use an app called One Touch Location that allows you text your location as a google map link and you don't need a internet signal. I know it works cos thats how I sent my location to Mrs W a few weeks ago when I had to ask for a rescue mission.

Alan O

Über Member
I think that carrying an unlocked phone on a bike has another great benefit to a cyclist, as when I had a severe head injury out alone on my bike 3 years ago, it was the only way that the police and hospital could find out my identity whilst I lay unconscious in intensive care. It also enabled them to phone an appropriate person.
I carry a piece of paper in my bag, wrapped in clear plastic, with ID and emergency contact details written on it. Thankfully I've never needed it so far, but I am confident that should it be needed, its battery won't be flat.

Last edited:

Tim Hall

I carry a piece of paper in my bag, wrapped in clear plastic, with ID and emergency contact details written on it. Thankfully I've never needed it so far, but I am confident that should it be needed, it's battery won't be flat.
The map reference on it might not be as accurate as needed though.

Do you tell the time the same way Eccles does?

I use an app called One Touch Location that allows you text your location as a google map link and you don't need a internet signal. I know it works cos thats how I sent my location to Mrs W a few weeks ago when I had to ask for a rescue mission.

Presumably you need a phone signal for that though? Although i`m only a few miles away from Scotland`s capital, I can very quickly be in areas of poor/no phone reception.

I do have a Garmin Edge 25 which has live tracking on it for my wife to keep an eye on, mind you, if I ever had an accident, I think she would be in too much of a panic to help!

wonderloaf

Veteran
Presumably you need a phone signal for that though? Although i`m only a few miles away from Scotland`s capital, I can very quickly be in areas of poor/no phone reception.

I do have a Garmin Edge 25 which has live tracking on it for my wife to keep an eye on, mind you, if I ever had an accident, I think she would be in too much of a panic to help!
Yes you need the phone signal to send the text, but you don't internet connectivity. It sends a text with the google map location that can be opened on a browser.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've got my ICE contact on the home page of my phone - no need for anyone to unlock it to read it.

DaveT

Über Member
My lezyne GPS has a tracking function

Also ekoi (french cycling brand) do a little emergency button that fits to your jersey you can press

Top Bottom