In my professional opinion...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.
There are old mushroom hunters, there are bold mushroom hunters.
There are no old, bold mushroom hunters...

Nettles make great tea and are good in salads you can even make great cordage (string) from them.

in the autumn you can make coffee out of goose grass (cleavers) seeds.

Never shout at someone, always explain your point of view firmly, shouting ends a conversation and starts an argument faster than you'd expect.

If a berry looks tasty its most likely poisonous.

The Yew tree is widely known to be toxic, the arils that surround the seeds however are delicious and taste slightly like strawberry. the seeds must NOT be eaten.

Squirrels bark.

in the spring you can get a refreshing drink from a birch tree. (tapping for sap)

i have many more.

That makes no sense. Can you give us a an example?

In "I like swimming", swimming is a gerund (basically a verb form used as a noun), and there is no need for a possessive. :thumbsup:
There isn't in that case, no, because the gerund isn't qualified in any way - it's just the object of the verb 'like'. If you add an adjectival modifier, for instance, it's much clearer - "Fred's swimming is coming on well", not 'Fred swimming...'.

The difficulty with getting the gerund grammatically correct (not that it matters) is that in English it is the same form as the present participle. So "Look at Fred swimming" is correct in that construction.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
There isn't in that case, no, because the gerund isn't qualified in any way - it's just the object of the verb 'like'. If you add an adjectival modifier, for instance, it's much clearer - "Fred's swimming is coming on well", not 'Fred swimming...'.

The difficulty with getting the gerund grammatically correct (not that it matters) is that in English it is the same form as the present participle. So "Look at Fred swimming" is correct in that construction.
But the one that grammar-complainers complain about is (e.g.) My fries doesn't like my being late" and there is feck all wrong with "me being late".

But the one that grammar-complainers complain about is (e.g.) My fries doesn't like my being late" and there is feck all wrong with "me being late".
They do indeed complain. "My being late" is strictly correct, "me being late" isn't, but I see both as being perfectly acceptable in almost all contexts and certainly in ordinary speech.
What the grammar Nazis forget is that language is about communication; and if it isn't confusing it doesn't really matter.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
They do indeed complain. "My being late" is strictly correct, "me being late" isn't, but I see both as being perfectly acceptable in almost all contexts and certainly in ordinary speech.
What the grammar Nazis forget is that language is about communication; and if it isn't confusing it doesn't really matter.
I agree with you :thumbsup:

Top Bottom