Votes: 52 55.3%
  • Leave

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Won't Vote

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I notice most of the the pro EU members on here live in areas mostly unaffected by forced immigration by the EU! Cheshire Norfolk Cumbria Somerset.....:rolleyes:
Forced?

There's plenty that have chosen to come live around the Hanseatic port of King's Lynn. We've a large Lithuanian supermarket opened up on the St Nicholas retail park. I understand the neighbouring towns of Wisbech and Boston have quite large EU minorities too. And why not? It's lovely here and so are most of these residents.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I notice most of the the pro EU members on here live in areas mostly unaffected by forced immigration by the EU! Cheshire Norfolk Cumbria Somerset.....:rolleyes:
Not me, Oldham and proud of the place for all its faults and the misperceptions people have about it. Proud of its multi cultural heritage and welcome in ethos. We had the good sense and humanity to send the BNP packing whenever they tried to gain a foothold in the council.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
But that's the thing. The European Parliament is elected, and by a more proportional system than the UK. The Council of Ministers is also just that, a council made up of elected ministers from each member state. We are fed the line that they are unelected, but it isn't true.
also in raw number terms the UK has a proportionately much larger number of MEPs, votes and opportunity to have influence than the average by number of member countries. If only Nigel F & similarly minded cronies would turn up now and again and do their elected duty by the country instead of posturing on the sidelines.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Which one of these two do you want to have a happy ending.

MAIN-osborne-farage.jpg
Both should have an ending ....

but not of the happy variety.

Reactions: TVC

mjr

i have lived around here for nearly 30 years and it surprised me

i discussed it with my lbs as well they were both non fussed either way as they couldnt see it making any changes for them , so loads of people are not sure
Have you not gotten involved in village politics before? I don't doubt there's plenty still unsure, but Northamptonshire villages are surprisingly right wing, even on the old council estates.

mjr

If only Nigel F & similarly minded cronies would turn up now and again and do their elected duty by the country instead of posturing on the sidelines.
That's one of the ironies: a vote for UK IP in the European elections is basically a vote to sit out and let the rest of Parliament get on with it, relying on our other MEPs to amend things in our interests, our ministers to block problems in Council or fix them in conciliation.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Can't deny that at all, but that doesn't mean staying in a larger undemocratic outfit is a better option. If we leave. big if, there could well be a big call for proper change in our voting system to reflect a new age. I hope so anyway.

For what it's worth I feel the House of Lords should be pensioned off. As should the Monarchy. First past the post should go too.

We had the opportunity to modernise our voting system; as a Tory sop to the LD's propping them up last parliament; to get rid of the anachronistic FPTP and rejected it, what makes you think the vested interests in keeping FPTP of Tory and Labour are going to voluntarily opt for asking or offering it again?

Precisely how is the EU less democratic to the UKs detriment when we have a disproportionately large voice due to our number of MEPs?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Have you not gotten involved in village politics before? I don't doubt there's plenty still unsure, but Northamptonshire villages are surprisingly right wing, even on the old council estates.

no not at all

Top Bottom