In praise of close circuit cycle tracks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bladesman73

Über Member
One has just been opened near me, 1.6km circuit. Had a whale of a time there this morning, no worries about traffic, just smashing it until I unfortunately ran out of steam. My first time on one of these and it was 100% positive. There should be more around the UK than there currently is.

This sounds ace. Was it a formal crit-style race or were you just going hell-for-leather?

OP
OP
bladesman73

bladesman73

Über Member
Is it the new one in Colchester? https://northerngatewaycolchester.co.uk/sport/

There's more than you might think. Near me we've circuits in Leeds, York, Wakefield, Elland, Doncaster and a replacement one being built in Bradford.

In the past 10 years there's been a boom in cycle circuits in the UK, many linked to schools who've realised there's money to be made in them.
Yes. I live about 5 miles from it so cycled there and back. Have mate who lives in Howarth who says there is one near him, something to do with the Brownlees.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've got a tough 5 km road circuit near here. It does involve a 0.9 km stretch on the A646 but that is fine as long as I avoid busy times. Done anticlockwise, there are 4 left turns in the loop it so I don't have to cross the traffic flow anywhere.

I wish that I had the motivation and fitness to blast round it 10 times in succession, but I have only done 3 consecutive laps so far (since I thought of it earlier this year).

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I've got a tough 5 km road circuit near here. It does involve a 0.9 km stretch on the A646 but that is fine as long as I avoid busy times. Done anticlockwise, there are 4 left turns in the loop it so I don't have to cross the traffic flow anywhere.

View attachment 588299

I wish that I had the motivation and fitness to blast round it 10 times in succession, but I have only done 3 consecutive laps so far (since I thought of it earlier this year).
Ooh that's hard work.
I used to live close to Mankinholes.

Top Bottom