In Praise of Fray Bentos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
This rather frivolous thought of mine did start from a real event. I was on a work trip to Buenos Aires (yes, they were good times at that company) and on a day off I took the ferry across the River Plate to Uruguay, and met two American guys with their bikes who were riding north through Uruguay. I was quite envious.
I don't know if Fray Bentos was actually on their itinerary, but if the eponymous company sells their metal-clad pies in North America then I expect they were tempted.
Fray Bentos UR.jpg

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Many years ago we stopped at a small cafe in the Derbyshire Dales and selected pie off the menu......we got a tin of Fray Bentos each and the cafe owner struggled for ages opening each can and only had room for two pies at a time in his oven - there were six of us!

AndyRM

XOXO
I've never had one, but my considered opinion is that they look rank.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Mr WD bought one a while ago, the first one in decades. Bl***y horrible. All pastry and just a stain in the bottom. I couldn't stop laughing.

And those old tin openers are even more difficult to use when you are left handed. I remember having to go backwards ( as far as righties are concermed) to open the dam things. How i didn't lose couple of fingers in the process i will never know. Can't beat Puka pies.:okay:

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
The whole Fray Bentos pie for a quid thing has set me thinking.
I reckon two of us could eat healthily for less than a tenner a week.
I can get a bag of veg and teddies, that would easily last a week, for £2 from the farm across the road. You don't need meat every day and you could stretch mince and a chicken out over a few meals. I can catch Pollack, Whiting and Mackerel in season, within half a mile of my house.
Porridge is cheap and healthy for breakfast.
With a bit of judicious purchasing, I reckon it could be done.
Might give it a try sometime.

Yep, whenever we go away it's Fray Bentos pies, Princess tinned steak, chicken supreme in white sauce in a tin, mandarin segments / condensed milk......
Reminds me of childhood caravan holidays and, ffs, new potatoes in a tin. Veg in a tin is surely one of britain's more questionable contributions to world culture. Am still bemused to find boil in the bag rice on sale.

Edit, just seen that dirk has the same memories. 60s? Anyone know when the brits stopped uttering the immortal phrase "i'll open a tin of carrots" and just went and chopped the ends off one, possibly peeled.

Last edited:
Top Bottom