In Praise of Fray Bentos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Pukka pies have eclipsed them in my heart.
Are those the things that look like an internal organ that's never seen the sun or something a fungal hunting building inspector might be shining a light on?

Last edited:
The whole Fray Bentos pie for a quid thing has set me thinking.
I reckon two of us could eat healthily for less than a tenner a week.
I can get a bag of veg and teddies, that would easily last a week, for £2 from the farm across the road. You don't need meat every day and you could stretch mince and a chicken out over a few meals. I can catch Pollack, Whiting and Mackerel in season, within half a mile of my house.
Porridge is cheap and healthy for breakfast.
With a bit of judicious purchasing, I reckon it could be done.
Might give it a try sometime.
An interesting thought, and i agree that healthy food can be cheap, but gotta ask, have you discussed this with the other one of you two?

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Talking of can openers - did anyone see that episode of 'Back in time for dinner' where the mother and daughter couldn't figure out how to use the old style can opener? :laugh:
Me and the missus never larfed so much as they stabbed holes in the top of the tin, unable to figure out the mechanics of using such a simple device.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I think my record slow time for opening a Fray Bentos pie is about 45 minutes. I had to use a hammer a chisel,a bread knife and a screwdriver to get in. Even then the whole lid wouldn't come off,so i had to spoon the contents out,carefully avoiding the razor sharp tin and lid. I haven't had one now for about a year since going "veggie(ish)". I used to love the dog meat smell when they were cooking. The chicken and veg' one used to make me laugh. The veg' comprised of one pea,one centimeter square of carrot,half a green bean and something else which i can't remember.:laugh:

Sandra6

Veteran
I love a fray bentos pie.
I'd never had them before I met mr6, but they were a staple of his childhood diet.
I'd never experienced tinned veg or potatoes until I went to a friend's house at about 17, and he was cooking them in the oven alongside the roast. Bizarre.
On the eating well for less front - there is a facebook group called feed the family for £20 a week, but they do have an odd way of countin the cost of a meal-if you have the produce in the house already it is apparently free, so you can produce a meal for a few pence.

It was her idea initially....
Ik, but they do have an odd way of countin the cost of a meal-if you have the produce in the house already it is apparently free, so you can produce a meal for a few pence.
:smile:
That's the sort of accounting/economics that has brought britain to its current parlous state. Flogging the family silver, renting back your own hospitals etc.
Back to the pies.

Top Bottom