In Praise of Fray Bentos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
[QUOTE 5142926, member: 259"]
And if you have a dog, you don't even need to wash it![/QUOTE]
Nooo!:eek:
We once had a dog that licked out an open tin of dog food - blood everywhere, had to chase it round the garden with the tin hanging off its tongue. It took a slice out of the side of its tongue which took ages to heal.
Don't give empty tins to dogs!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Nooo!:eek:
We once had a dog that licked out an open tin of dog food - blood everywhere, had to chase it round the garden with the tin hanging off its tongue. It took a slice out of the side of its tongue which took ages to heal.
Don't give empty tins to dogs!
I had a Jack Russell that could get her tongue into the hole of a beer can. She'd put her paw on the led down tin and spend a good while darting her tongue in and out. I used to cringe watching her do this,thinking blood would suddenly appear,but she never cut herself doing it.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
[QUOTE 5142999, member: 259"]The only problem is what kind of tinned mushy peas to eat with them. Original or chip shop style? Or both?[/QUOTE]
It has to be garden peas with a Fray Bentos pie.

gbb

Legendary Member
I have at times mused about a bike tour up the Uruguay River, passing through Fray Bentos, where, I imagined, there would be nothing but meat pies to eat.
Been there but only up to Nueva Palmira.. Remarkably, the countryside i saw is visually much like ours, i was genuinely surprised.

Of course tinned veg was once apparently considered somewhat sophisticated in some circles. That Harry Palmer film where Michael Cain sings the praises of a particular type of tinned mushroom to a boss he encounters in an early supermarket. (maybe on youtube somewhere). Maybe in reality he entertained his enticed lady prospects to a steel-clad pie and peas.

It's a well known ploy amongst certain theatrical types.
Apparently, Richard Burton used it to devastating effect on Elizabeth Taylor.
Burton once took taylor to a spoons, though it wasn't one at the time.

And possibly to another place that became a Harvester.

Top Bottom