In Praise of Fray Bentos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I do hope so! :hungry:
£6 plus postage from Firebox.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not FB's but Hollands cheese and onion pies. They've been on offer at a local supermarket for about a month now. At 50p i've been dining on them quite a lot,along with their spud pies. When you stock up on stuff it tends to work its way to the back of the cupboard or the fridge. The other day i found an 8 days out of date cheese and onion pie. 'What could be wrong with it'? i thought,'seeing as it's been i the fridge it'll be ok'. I opened it to find the cheese was a kind of mottled black colour and the pastry had green and blue bacteria spores all over it!:eek: Needless to say i binned it. Damn,that was 50p i'd lost there!!:sad:

classic33

Leg End Member
Not FB's but Hollands cheese and onion pies. They've been on offer at a local supermarket for about a month now. At 50p i've been dining on them quite a lot,along with their spud pies. When you stock up on stuff it tends to work its way to the back of the cupboard or the fridge. The other day i found an 8 days out of date cheese and onion pie. 'What could be wrong with it'? i thought,'seeing as it's been i the fridge it'll be ok'. I opened it to find the cheese was a kind of mottled black colour and the pastry had green and blue bacteria spores all over it!:eek: Needless to say i binned it. Damn,that was 50p i'd lost there!!:sad:
See, if you'd thought it through you'd have bought another, then taken that one back.

It's like something you'd expect to see on a 1960's/70's Apollo mission in space,when gravity loss meant eating off a plate was impossible.

Naah.

NASA went for the freeze dried stuff in plastic pouches for the most part, to avoid crumbs floating around the capsule. You sucked the food out of a spout at the top of the packet.

The food on the Soviet space program was far less high tech and came in cans and screw top tubes.

It was only in 1975 on the joint Apollo-Soyuz mission that the Americans realised how basic the Soviet space program actually was.

classic33

Leg End Member
Naah.

NASA went for the freeze dried stuff in plastic pouches for the most part, to avoid crumbs floating around the capsule. You sucked the food out of a spout at the top of the packet.

The food on the Soviet space program was far less high tech and came in cans and screw top tubes.

It was only in 1975 on the joint Apollo-Soyuz mission that the Americans realised how basic the Soviet space program actually was.
Any idea what brand of tin opener they were using?

Top Bottom