In Praise of Lusso

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Snapped up a nice servicable (ie pretty much new condition) lusso top with full length zip (lusso tend to use good zips in my experience and care not whether cool/minimalist looking) in a charity shop the other week. £7. XL, but then it is from their women's line. I self identify as cheap.
Snapped up an okay (new) own-brand top with full length zip (which may or may not last) in Aldi the other week. £0.79. Labelled L, but clearly only a L for Sumo wrestlers - more like an XXL for normal people... I self identify as bargain basement! :laugh:

If I could face going out in the cold I would use it as an extra base layer. I have been wearing it indoors as a vest instead. It may not win any prizes for style but it is a really comfortable, soft, breathable fabric.

Petrichorwheels

Snapped up an okay (new) own-brand top with full length zip (which may or may not last) in Aldi the other week. £0.79. Labelled L, but clearly only a L for Sumo wrestlers - more like an XXL for normal people... I self identify as bargain basement! :laugh:

If I could face going out in the cold I would use it as an extra base layer. I have been wearing it indoors as a vest instead. It may not win any prizes for style but it is a really comfortable, soft, breathable fabric.

Demands a pic.
I like the old yellow tops Aldi used to do - not flash at all, in fact slightly slightly naffish, but very practical and hard wearing.
On Lusso I can recommend their bib longs without the pad - you just wear lycra shorts with a decent pad underneath.
Have the idea that these things aren't as popular as they should be - can't think why not - I only use bibs with their own pad for special special day rides.
Being lusso and northern, they are very practical - though no pad they have a double layer on the seat, and the zip is good, simple, long and well positioned so that comfort breaks are far easier than many slicker looking things.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Demands a pic.
I like the old yellow tops Aldi used to do - not flash at all, in fact slightly slightly naffish, but very practical and hard wearing.
On Lusso I can recommend their bib longs without the pad - you just wear lycra shorts with a decent pad underneath.
Have the idea that these things aren't as popular as they should be - can't think why not - I only use bibs with their own pad for special special day rides.
Being lusso and northern, they are very practical - though no pad they have a double layer on the seat, and the zip is good, simple, long and well positioned so that comfort breaks are far easier than many slicker looking things.
Details...
I was just in our local ALDI and spotted a cycling jersey which was going for the bargain price of... £0.79!! How could I not buy it? :laugh:

View attachment 670373

I doubt that I will ever wear it by itself out on the bike but it will make a good turbo trainer jersey, or extra base layer on cold days.

The sizing on this one is way out! If the hunk in that photo is wearing the same size as the one I bought then there must be something at the back of the jersey taking up the slack (a number of clothes pegs? :whistle:) - my L is more like an XXL! I normally wear XL but this L hangs really loose on me. Still, for £0.79 I am not going to complain! It will be a very good breathable alternative to wearing a baggy t-shirt.
Just imagine that 2 sizes too big!

Petrichorwheels

I own four pieces of Lusso kit and find the quality and fit suits me very well. When a parcel went missing several months ago the customer service and immediate replacement was very good.

Recently though I feel Lusso have given me truly excellent service, beyond my expectations.

In early December I went down hard on a diesel spill. This left a large hole in my biblongs and a tear in the gilet. £180 worth of kit. A buddy told me Lusso do repairs.

As Lusso is local to me I popped into the factory. Yes, we can repair, the biblongs will be free of charge as less than 12 months old, the gilet £15 as it's outside the warranty period. Warranty only applies to items purchased direct from Lusso. Repairs completed in 6 days.

I feel the gilet repair blends well and while the bibs are obviously patched the alternative was binning £80 of kit.

Very happy.

View attachment 672013

well done for getting a repair.
any reaction from clubmates to your patching?
The Japanese I understand have an entire artistic culture of patching, often making the patches deliberately noticeable, giving you a one-off piece of attire/kit. They have a name for it which escapes me - have a vague idea that some of their artistry made it into the London Tate gallery.
anyone ever done any lycra patching?
all I have ever done is some very minor rough stritching together (no patch) on a pair of just bpught Gore tights I was seriously disinclined to bin after a fall on a canal towpath.
Have ambitions to patch a pair of lusso bibs that are wearing thin on one leg - using some material from an Altura expensive new jacket I managed to partially shred after stupidly letting it fall off the back of a bike.

maybe I should start a new, er, thread (sorry)

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
well done for getting a repair.
any reaction from clubmates to your patching?

Wore the kit yesterday for the first time since the repair. Neither patch is noticeable and I got no remarks on this. A few people asked how I was after the crash and I relayed the repair story. All were impressed with two saying this would persuade them to look more closely at Lusso kit in future.

To me it shows, again, the incalculable value of great Customer Service. I've told several people of my great experience, they know me so take it as true and a relatively small company has been the subject of several very positive discussions.

The same yesterday with Galibier. I was asked about my new quilted gilet. It's a great product and the customer service was excellent. Lots of people now know about it.

Top Bottom