In praise of porridge oats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
I've heard of the "Ramones" before, cannot recall off the top of my head what they sung, but I've never heard of the "Jumbo Oats" are they new, knowing my daughter though if they are new, she'll probably want the latest CD for Xmas.

davidg

threebikesmcginty said:
Does anyone rate jumbo oats? I'm not so keen on them myself - there I've said it!

I really rate them when eaten cold

Sam Kennedy

I love the oat so simple porridge as well, using the sachet to measure the milk was an awesome idea!

However I find it really hard to eat first thing in the morning, I just gag loads :becool:

i've been on shredded wheat or weetabix for the past 6/7 months probably. think its time for a change so gonna get some oats.
thing is i always eat before leaving the house and oats aren't the easiest to prepare quickly from experience. may need to to get up a minute or two earlier lol

davidg

you can always soak them overnight...

had them skiing where they do this in orange juice or something like that...

very nice

Sam Kennedy said:
I love the oat so simple porridge as well, using the sachet to measure the milk was an awesome idea!

However I find it really hard to eat first thing in the morning, I just gag loads :eek:

This happened to me about 8 years ago, after years of happily eating porridge or muesli every morning. I stopped using milk and I could get the grub down my neck again. I seemed to develop some sort of reaction to milk.

Crankarm

Guru
Au contraire...............

About now when it becomes consistently cold - like frost and ice, the winter breakfast menu will kick which will be a bowl of semi-skimmed milk heated in the microwave to which is added porridge oats and mixed to desired viscosity, then dark brown muscavado sugar drizzled in like a chocolate ripple effect and a hefty pile of All-Bran on top ;).

I find with porridge it's too easy to have too much as it is so nice and being highly calorific it's great for creating a spare tyre around one's middle. Perhaps Boris should cut down on his intake as he is reputed to have a liking for porridge.

Come Spring it will be back to the summer breakfast menu Bran Flakes, dried mixed fruit, berries, nuts, demerra sugar bathing in cold milk.

Flapjacks :tongue: ...........

went and bought some Oats yesterday after seeing this thread at the same time

had first bowl this morning, my stomach did have a bit of a shock. very slight discomfort. semi skimmed milk and some oats, mixed, then heated for 3 mins in micro. added some honey

enjoyed it very much and i think the discomfort wll pass when i get used to it

Brahan

Über Member
I bought some oast so simple the other day. Did it in the microwave at work but left it too long and it went EVERYWHERE.

If I ever make it at home I always leave it to soak overnight then it just needs a quick boil in the morning. Wash the pan before you eat.

Brahan said:
I bought some oast so simple the other day. Did it in the microwave at work but left it too long and it went EVERYWHERE.

If I ever make it at home I always leave it to soak overnight then it just needs a quick boil in the morning. Wash the pan before you eat.

haha, it really is an art. i cant count the times i've had a lava flow!

it happens so quickly, one second nothing then, boom! :laugh::laugh:

Crankarm

Guru
cruiser31 said:
went and bought some Oats yesterday after seeing this thread at the same time

had first bowl this morning, my stomach did have a bit of a shock. very slight discomfort. semi skimmed milk and some oats, mixed, then heated for 3 mins in micro. added some honey

enjoyed it very much and i think the discomfort wll pass when i get used to it

Jees, how much did you eat :biggrin: ?

Crankarm said:
Jees, how much did you eat :wacko: ?

lol, i know. i dont have the measurements down to a tee yet. its gonna take a few days for me to adjust after having it easy with shredded wheat :rolleyes:

Top Bottom