In praise of porridge oats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aka0019

I have porridge every morning and then have oats with a yoghurt at lunch time. Have done this for the last year or so. I love the stuff!

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Had porridge with cinnamon and a nana for my dinner- lovely!:biggrin:
Dont know whats wrong with me,im eating quite healthily at the moment!:thumbsup:

jimboalee

Not so much porridge.

I melt some butter in a pan and stir in some oats that have been drained after soaking overnight.
Stir in some brown sugar until it caramelises and then some condensed milk.

Oat fudge....

zacklaws

Guru
Cannot bring myself round to eating porridge but at the moment I am making energy bars out of the stuff.

1 cup brown sugar
2 cups granola or porridge oats
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup mixed fruit (raisins, sultana's etc)
2 eggs
2 tsps of vannila essence

Mix the eggs, brown sugar and vannila esscense together, add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Flatten it out into a baking tray about 12inch by 8 inch and cook for 25 minutes at gas mark 3. Allow to cool and cut into bars, usually 12. Then I wrap them into tinfoil and freeze. About a third never make the fridge there that good.

Usually I eat half a bar every 10 miles and have found that they are better than a shop bought for giving you that kick to get you going.

Tommorow I might try porridge

jimboalee

zacklaws said:
Cannot bring myself round to eating porridge but at the moment I am making energy bars out of the stuff.

1 cup brown sugar
2 cups granola or porridge oats
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup mixed fruit (raisins, sultana's etc)
2 eggs
2 tsps of vannila essence

Mix the eggs, brown sugar and vannila esscense together, add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Flatten it out into a baking tray about 12inch by 8 inch and cook for 25 minutes at gas mark 3. Allow to cool and cut into bars, usually 12. Then I wrap them into tinfoil and freeze. About a third never make the fridge there that good.

Usually I eat half a bar every 10 miles and have found that they are better than a shop bought for giving you that kick to get you going.

Tommorow I might try porridge

We use OUNCES this side of the Atlantic, not 'cups'.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
We use OUNCES this side of the Atlantic, not 'cups'.
Cups are a measure of volume, not mass ('weight') and are a very convenient measure to use, as they do not require a scale, or special equipment. The measure can also be easily scaled, up or down, by using a suitable container. In any case, Jimbo, welcome to Europe in 21st century where we now use the metric system - actually, I understand that pounds and ounces are still used in the USA!

zacklaws

Guru
>>>>>We use OUNCES this side of the Atlantic, not 'cups'.<<<<

Ummmm, I wonder who posted the following below? Besides it was an American site I found the recipe on and as our lass has bought a set of stainless steel cups of various sizes, it saves a lot of time faffing about.

>>>>As for muscle gain rates, 1/2 lb per week is about the most anyone can be expect, ON THEIR WHOLE BODY! using a very comprehensive workout routine working ALL the musclegroups necessary to compete in Bodybuilding contests.

If you're only cycling, divide this by three.

70 g per week of leg muscle increase ???

Naw, 40 g per week because the intensity is nowhere near MAX.

That means if you want to put on a kilo of lean muscle, its going to take 25 weeks, 6 months to be certain.

2 kilos ( one per leg ) is going to take one year.

And the story continues.<<<<<

jimboalee

Zacklaws.

Are you my ex wife?

If you are not, go away and do some research.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html

How Fast Can You Actually Gain Muscle Mass?
We live in an instant gratification society and are constantly bombarded with amazing claims; while this is probably most true in the world of weight loss, it’s not much different when it comes to muscle gain.
Magazines advertise 20 pounds or rock hard muscle in a mere 8-10 weeks, a supplement promises 5 lbs of muscle in 3 days or whatever; all around we see claims of rapid gains in muscle mass. Sadly, this is all basically bullshit. Yeah, with glycogen loading or creatine you can increase lean body mass (not the same as muscle mass) fairly rapidly but beyond that, skeletal muscle actually grows fairly slowly.
How slowly?
On average, a natural male doing everything right will be doing very well to gain 1/2 of pound muscle per week. A female might gain half that or about 1/2 pound muscle every 2 weeks.
Let’s put that in perspective: over a full year of training, assuming the trainee is doing everything right, that’s 26 pounds of the good stuff for men (13 pounds for women). Which, if you think about it, actually isn’t that awful. It’s simply awful compared to what people think they are going to get based on the false promises in the magazines (or the claims of drug using bodybuilders).
That assumes that half-pound is gained week-in, week-out for the entire year. Oddly, and somewhat tangentially, it usually doesn’t work that way. Trainees may go a long time with no measurable gains and then wake up several pounds heavier seemingly overnight. I have no idea why, that’s just how it usually works.
I’d note that, under the right conditions (usually underweight high school kids), much faster rates of gain are often seen or reported. But these tend to be exceptions to the rule more than the norm and since I’m usually writing for the average male trainee who’s not 15 years old with raging hormones, I don’t consider those values very illustrative. And, occasionally, when the stars are right, and everything clicks, a true one pound per week of muscle mass gain may be seen for short periods. But again, that tends to be the exception.
Let me reiterate: the average male trainee is doing well to gain about 1/2 pound muscle per week, 2 pounds per month or about 24-26 pounds per year. I’d note that that will generally only happen in the first year of training and things slow down after that. A female may be gaining about half that much, 1 pound per month of actual muscle tissue or 10-12 pounds per year. I know it sucks but that’s reality.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
I burnt curry solid into my main pan a couple of nights ago so now I'm using my rice cooker to cook porridge in the morning. lol

It doesn't seem to cook it quite the same.

Top Bottom