In praise of porridge oats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Riverman said:
I burnt curry solid into my main pan a couple of nights ago so now I'm using my rice cooker to cook porridge in the morning. lol

It doesn't seem to cook it quite the same.

Try a 'Slow cooker'.
After taking your portion, add oats, milk, and stir.
Leave on for tomorrow.

davidg

zacklaws said:
Cannot bring myself round to eating porridge but at the moment I am making energy bars out of the stuff.

1 cup brown sugar
2 cups granola or porridge oats
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup mixed fruit (raisins, sultanas etc)
2 eggs
2 tsps of vanilla essence

Mix the eggs, brown sugar and vannila essence together, add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Flatten it out into a baking tray about 12 inches by 8 inches and cook for 25 minutes at gas mark 3. Allow to cool and cut into bars, usually 12. Then I wrap them into tinfoil and freeze. About a third never make the fridge they're that good.

Usually I eat half a bar every 10 miles and have found that they are better than a shop bought for giving you that kick to get you going.

Tommorow I might try porridge

that sounds nice. Will give it a go...

this is possibly a very stupid question (but if the cap fits...), but are the eggs instread of butter or something like that because flapjack recipes that I have seen tend to have that...

does anyone have a kickarse flapjack recipe btw?

Malcolm44

Guys
You cant beat porridge!!!!
I dont believe anyone who says that they dont have time to make it as you get the packets which are ready in 3 mins from the microwave.
Then add more milk - never sugar or honey as the wimps south of Forfar would do. Keeps you going all morning

jimboalee

Malcolm44 said:
Guys
You cant beat porridge!!!!
I dont believe anyone who says that they dont have time to make it as you get the packets which are ready in 3 mins from the microwave.
Then add more milk - never sugar or honey as the wimps south of Forfar would do. Keeps you going all morning

Yes I can. With a Kenwood mixer.

Garz

Squat Member
Malcolm44 said:
Guys

I add honey, adding too much milk would make it more heavy/bloated before a ride if its more than a splash.

jimboalee

Mix in some scrambled eggs, chopped sausages and a dash of Tom ketchup.

It all gets to the same place. :biggrin:

PS, and a good heaped spoon of coffee granules.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
jimboalee said:
Mix in some scrambled eggs, chopped sausages and a dash of Tom ketchup.

It all gets to the same place. :smile:

PS, and a good heaped spoon of coffee granules.

God Jimbo-i feel really queasy now!:angry:
Porridge made with water,add honey,cinnamon,banana. That was my dinner and it was Yummy!:sad:

zacklaws

Guru
>>>but are the eggs instread of butter or something like that because flapjack recipes that I have seen tend to have that...<<<<

I'm not a cook, but I presume the eggs are just to bind the mix. If you do a search for homemade energy bars, there are lots of ideas, but the one that I have posted is about the most basic that I have found, others go into detail of different types of nuts and fruits etc but fundamentally are the same. Also the Granola, "Quaker" make one but found out its not the right stuff, its all clusters as opposed to grains. The one that I have been using is "Lizi's Original Granola" and I get it from Tesco's, and according to the website, Sainsburys and Waitrose also stock it. As daft as it is I cannot remember the price, I think it's somewhere in the region of £3 - £5 for 500 gram, I was shocked by the price at first but when you make about 36 energy bars from it then it is a big saving compared to shop bought ones.

I got my recipe from the following site, where there is also others to try:-

http://www.recumbent-bikes-truth-for-you.com/recipes.html

As for flapjacks, I think the recipes almost similar but they are full of butter and margarine so I have stayed clear of such things. Some recipes even include half a cup of oil for the energy bars.

The recipe that I am using though is that good its hard not to eat it straight away, its probably the best thing I've made in my life thats been a success. I made a batch about 3 days ago, non made it to the deep freeze so I have had to make another today.

davidg

cheers. looking forward to trying it out!

zacklaws

Guru
Made another batch yesterday, but I as I had run out of Granola earlier that day on another batch, I just used porridge oats and they are not half as good. Incidently if you find the recipe on that website that I have used, I have not yet used the M+Ms in the mix, so I may be missing out but its more the thought the chocolate may melt in my pocket creating a gooey mess.

zacklaws

Guru
The ingredients for Lizi's Granola are, Jumbo rolled oats, rapeseed oil, desiccated coconut, black treacle, fructose, cashew nuts, pumpkin seeds, golden linseeds, sunflower seeds, oligofructose syrup, almonds, roasted hazelnuts and walnuts.

I think of top of my head, the contents their will not be far off a commercial energy bar on its own. 496kcal, 10.9g protein and 29.3g fat overall per 100g

One thing to do if you do make some energy bars from it like you should with any new energy products that you try , is try it before you do go for a ride, just to make sure your stomach can handle it and does not disagree with it, but as you will find its that good you will probably scoff half the first batch straight away.

The only problem I have found is it may be responsible for constipating me, but adding a bit of epsom salts to the ingredients may sort that out

jimboalee

Save yourself the cost and trouble of making your own energy bars.

Wait until the supermarkets mark-down the unsold Christmas puddings after the Xmas closure.

Chop them up, wrap in clingfilm and bung in freezer.

They will keep in the freezer ALL season.

Top Bottom