In praise of the British Seaside.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I must admit to not being a great fan of any seaside town in the summer as I never sunbathe and they are overcrowded.

In the winter it is a different matter and we are lucky to have places such as Penarth, Barry, Porthcawl, Swansea, Mumbles, Tenby and many other smaller places in between for day trips. Devon and Cornwall are also areas to keep away from in the summer but marvellous in winter - and a lot easier to get to and cheaper to stay.

Salar

A fish out of water
The only one I've ever really liked was Tenby.

I lived in Tenby for a while, not my type of place. OK for holidays, but not to live there.

Salar

A fish out of water
Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
By coincidence we were saying just t'other night that we should go back to Scarborough for a long weekend.
We honeymooned there in 1968.
Is it my imagination or can you walk to Whitby from there? I know we visited a couple of times and recall some nice pubs on the front.

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
Is it my imagination or can you walk to Whitby from there?

You can but its a fair hike about 18.5 mile, 12 mile to Robin Hoods Bay, there is a 1/2 hourly bus service between Whitby and Scarbourough that calls at RHB, it reduces to a hourly service at some time towards the winter.

There is an old railway cycle track between Scarborough and Whitby.

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Veteran
My auntie had a caravan at various sites along the east coast so I spent my 1960's/70's childhood holidays at Bridlington, Witherensea, Hornsea etc.

I used to like the nut shop in the harbour at Brid, and the rare treat of going out for a trip on the Bridlington Queen. The beaches were great for cricket, but it was so windy if you had one of those plastic footballs from Woolworths you could kick it in the air once and never see it again. Great for kites though.

My kids have never had a British seaside holiday nor stayed in a caravan. I tell them you're not really British unless you've had a holiday where you get up in the night to pee in a bucket.

tom73

Guru
By coincidence we were saying just t'other night that we should go back to Scarborough for a long weekend.
We honeymooned there in 1968.
Is it my imagination or can you walk to Whitby from there? I know we visited a couple of times and recall some nice pubs on the front.

like @Venod points out it's possible but a good old walk not a quick afternoon one. Another vote for the bus we hardly use the car once we arrive some great service options on that coast/area.

Why not get Bus to Whitby walk to Robin Hoods Bay then bus back to Whitby? Catching the 128 bus from Scarborough is worth a go too get off at Helmsley spend a few hours then bus onto Pickering then bus back to Scarborough.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I live in a seaside town tho’ not in the traditional sense. This year it is hell on wheels in some cases literally. I had to go on to the Main St for an errand yesterday and was nearly trampled to death by the zombies from cruise liners. Several thousand in total I am told came ashore and I am not by any means the only person to be totally shocked. I did not wait to count them but got out of there as fast as possible. The good old days have gone but hopefully this phase will pass quickly.

Dave7

Legendary Member
like @Venod points out it's possible but a good old walk not a quick afternoon one. Another vote for the bus we hardly use the car once we arrive some great service options on that coast/area.

Why not get Bus to Whitby walk to Robin Hoods Bay then bus back to Whitby? Catching the 128 bus from Scarborough is worth a go too get off at Helmsley spend a few hours then bus onto Pickering then bus back to Scarborough.
TBF it probably was by bus.
We recall Whitby as nice.
We even recall going to watch Franky Howard and the Morton Frazer harmonica gang.
Go on, ask me who they were :sad:

Dave7

Legendary Member
You can but its a fair hike about 18.5 mile, 12 mile to Robin Hoods Bay, there is a 1/2 hourly bus service between Whitby and Scarbourough that calls at RHB, it reduces to a hourly service at some time towards the winter.

There is an old railway cycle track between Scarborough and Whitby.
Ahh just my romance clouded memories from my honeymoon then :rolleyes:

Top Bottom