In really cold conditions are mitts better than gloves?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
I often use riding gloves for the bike.
The clarino gloves are great for better weather, thin, reasonably warm with good grip and feel.

petek

Über Member
Just had a look on Amazon. Mark Todd Winter Riding Gloves here ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mark-Todd-...r=8-1&keywords=Mark+Todd+winter+riding+gloves

Well cheap.
Mine were bought 'pre-Amazon' from a tack shop and those lads know how to charge.
:sad:

petek

Über Member
Well the ad. says that they are Thinsulate lined and you wouldn't want gloves lined with that brilliant thermal material in anything other than winter months.
Yep same thang and a real bargain on Amazon.
Flea bay ones might be clones.
I paid above £30 quids for mine years ago.
Grrrrrrrrrr
Bleddy good gloves though.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I use snowmobile mittens, with gloves inside., We in the States also use these.
View attachment 380770
I have the same for drop bars , for close to and sub zero temps you cant beat them .I do have reynauds so i have yet to find a pair of gloves that will keep my hands warm and allow enough flexibility and precision to get stuff out of jersey pockets.Poggies allow me to wear thin full gloves so i can do these things and keep my hands warm.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
[QUOTE 5018864, member: 43827"]I bought the Aldi lobster claw gloves last year and they are much warmer than any gloves I have worn. I have Reynaud's so the really cold weather is normally a problem, but not last year.

They do take a bit of getting used to though.[/QUOTE]
tried them , fingers were still cold.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Mitts are warmer but make sure you can still operate the brakes and gears. Primaloft mitts work well as they are still flexible but warm.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
The most efficient way for a group of humans to keep warm in extreme cold is to huddle together. The same principle applies to fingers.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Bar Mitts (the generic term is "pogies") are warmest, then mittens, then lobster claws, then 4 finger gloves. The more you divide up the fingers, the more surface there is to lose heat through.
You want a windproof outer shell, and to be warmest, the gloves should be a loose fit, or baggy even. It's the air inside that does the insulating, not the material of the glove.

If I had cold hand problems, I'd go for Buffalo mitts (subject to bike control considerations)

(I've got fairly decent circulation, and cold hands don't generally bother me; until they warm up and the feeling starts to come back, at least)

Jacks

You can lose a lot of heat from your arms. It's no good insulating your hands if the blood flowing into them is cold to start with. I think most people don't pay sufficient attention to warmth and wind protection in their sleeves, a gilet is the worst possible garment for this!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Agreed 100%. I have tried two-layer gloves lined with Thinsulate and found that they squirm annoyingly on the bars and prevent me from getting a good tight grip, especially when climbing on the hoods. Once I'm fully warm they also make my hands sweat. So I use thin, non-insulating but wind-blocking gloves that are made from some kind of non-woven material and they are fine from 10c downwards, especially once I've warmed up and reached temperature equilibrium in my clothes.

Top Bottom