In really cold conditions are mitts better than gloves?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With cold weather fast approaching, I find one of the worst things to have when out and about is painfully cold hands most of all because it really does get the arthritis throbbing and my fingers honestly do start to seize up.

I have so many types of glove and normally find the very cheap Thinsulate lined knitted gloves are the warmest, however in former years when I used to do a lot of skiing often in seriously sub zero temperatures, I found the best form of hand protection was a leather pair of mitts which had a down stuffed lining to the outer (knuckle side) of the mitt and when worn in addition to a pair of close fitting silk gloves inside, they were brilliant.

So my question is, what do you find to be the best and by that I mean warmest hand protection to be worn when winter cycling?

DRHysted

Guru
My sub freezing pair are lobster gloves, which are really warm but you loose a lot of feel of the bars.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Silk liners, a cheap pair of 'magic' gloves and a cheap pair of thinsulate gloves. I find the cold gets in through stitching between the fingers so layering is an attempt to stop this.

Those lobster gloves would be better with the pinky, ring and middle fingers in the mitt, leaving the thumb and index free. I find the Vulcan greeting mitt a bit weird.... probably because I'm an earthling.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
When it is really cold I wear German army mittens. I have to ride the flat bar as they are very bulky, but very warm. Cost about £15 off Amazon.

olive-green-mittens-army-gloves-6009a.jpg

Credit to be given to @steveindenmark who recommended these.

[QUOTE 5018169, member: 9609"]dachstein mitts - and when seriously cold an outer windproof mitt over the top. and I prefer a bare hand inside as I think the bare fingers next to each ther help to keep them warmer. My dachstiens are a bit stretched now as I sometimes put the thumb down where the fingers are to try and warm the frozen thumb back up[/QUOTE]
Cycling can be a bit hard on Dachsteins, metal beake and gear levers wear the material, even if the boilled wool is tougher than most.

petek

Über Member
IMG_4570.JPG
For warmth, quality and sheer durability you'll not go far wrong with Mark Todd leather horseriding gloves. They have a Thinsulate lining and the leather is soft and supple so it doesn't scratch your nose when wiping away drips. I've had these for years, still good as new. Not cheap but well worth the money. They're sold as 'Winter Riding Gloves' and a gloved 'hand wash' with a bar of saddle soap every few weeks keeps em totally waterproof.

Last edited:
OP
OP
buzzy-beans

buzzy-beans

Über Member
View attachment 380771 For warmth, quality and sheer durability you'll not go far wrong with Mark Todd leather horseriding gloves. They have a Thinsulate lining and the leather is soft and supple so it doesn't scratch your nose when wiping away drips. I've had these for years, still good as new. Not cheap but well worth the money. They're sold as 'Winter Riding Gloves' and a gloved 'hand wash' with a bar of saddle soap every few weeks keeps em totally waterproof.

Well I just did a quick search on FleaBay and found this advert, to my mind they aren't expensive if they are as good as you say they are:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mark-Todd...662632&hash=item25e0ffeccc:g:tc4AAOSwNZtZy47X

Top Bottom