In search of the ultimate commuting pedal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Commuting bike currently has Shimano M520 with the silly platform reflector and I'd like to replace it. Criteria are:
  • 2 bolt cleat system. Not necessarily SPD, I'm open to change.
  • With platform.
  • Double sided. So clip in on both sides, not one side clip in, one side platform.
  • With reflectors or the ability to mount them.
Any ideas? I can't seem to find anything that meets all these criteria. Also, if anyone has any experience of non-SPD 2 bolt cleat systems, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Ta muchly :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
I doubt such a thing exists to be honest beyond what you have...hence you can't find anything. What's wrong with what you have?
M530 + reflective bands round ankles? Or shoes with lots of reflective bits

What's more important reflectors or being able to clip in both sides? If the former...
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-...sided-spd-clipless-trekking-pedals-prod26119/
Or cheaper http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/humpert-x92-double-sided-pedals-prod35807/

If the latter, just stick with M520s

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Those again appear to only have the clip on one side

I guess the issue is that MTBers don;t need reflectors and commuters may wish to use normal shoes sometimes rather than always clipping in

I find the pedal flipping nonsense so frustrating, I'd forget the reflectors! My everyday Specialized Sonoma shoes have reflective backs and toes which help

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
you don't have to flip anything with Click'r. If the pedal is the wrong way up just take your foot off and the clip side will present itself on the next pedal revolution.

ime, anyway...

vickster

Legendary Member
you don't have to flip anything with Click'r. If the pedal is the wrong way up just take your foot off and the clip side will present itself on the next pedal revolution.

ime, anyway...
That requires coordination and timing, I got rid of A600 pedals, they drove me mad, they were never the right way up and looking at feet while moving can have unfortunate consequences...as I discovered once :blush:

Do you need special shoes for Click'r?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
That requires coordination and timing, I got rid of A600 pedals, they drove me mad, they were never the right way up and looking at feet while moving can have unfortunate consequences...as I discovered once :blush:

Powergrips perhaps might ease your pain.

vickster

Legendary Member
Powergrips perhaps might ease your pain.
I've now got M520s on three bikes, problem solved. The M324 on the SS seem better than the A600 and can also be used with trainers

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

Do you need special shoes for Click'r?
ordinary spd shoes work fine.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
The issue with the M520s is that I've bought some new shoes with a softer sole, so I'd like a platform pedal for extra support. Also, with the silly plastic reflector thing, they're effectively only single sided, so the worst of both worlds.

I'd like double sided for the convenience of being able to just slam my foot in and sprint away from the lights, but I do think that pedal reflectors are the No1 thing at identifying you as a cyclist at night. I would I think consider single sided, but only if they were designed so the clippy side was upwards most of the time or were otherwise quick to clip in.

I have seen the Click'R but they look a bit cheap and cheerful, and I have concerns about the clip mechanism being too light for me.

Ankle bands are just daft.

vickster

Legendary Member
Daft maybe but as you say you want to be seen. Is street cred or visibility more important

Wellgo as well as shimano have some single sided options with platform and reflector

IME as above single sided pedals almost always need flipping to clip in but ymmv. The extra weight of the clip side seems to make it hang down, clip in tension can be set loose

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Daft maybe but as you say you want to be seen. Is street cred or visibility more important
Please don't make me choose. Mind you, I'm officially a fat dad now, so street cred is out the window.
IME as above single sided pedals almost always need flipping to clip in but ymmv. The extra weight of the clip side seems to make it hang down, clip in tension can be set loose
Ironically enough, the M520s are OK in that department. I think the weight of the silly plastic reflector manages to orient them clippy side up.

vickster

Legendary Member
Pedant alert, I think the pedal with the platform has a different model number to M520

SJS have loads of pedals, I'd browse their selection for appropriate options

Top Bottom