In The Window of My LBS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
View attachment 120019

Peugeot PX10 as ridden by Merckx, Simpson and Roger Pingeon and others. My all time favourite colour scheme, I spent half an hour drooling over it this morning.

Looks to be original with Mafac Racer brakes and Simplex gears. I didn't note out the chainset but it looks like a Stronglight which is what the team used.

The shop, Lunar Cycles in Fishguard rarely seems to be open despite being their for two years (Don't know how he keeps going but he's a decent bloke) so I haven't had a chance to ask him about it.

@Smokin Joe that is nice and you only drooled for half an hour !!!

oldroadman

Veteran
View attachment 120019

Peugeot PX10 as ridden by Merckx, Simpson and Roger Pingeon and others. My all time favourite colour scheme, I spent half an hour drooling over it this morning.

Looks to be original with Mafac Racer brakes and Simplex gears. I didn't note out the chainset but it looks like a Stronglight which is what the team used.

The shop, Lunar Cycles in Fishguard rarely seems to be open despite being their for two years (Don't know how he keeps going but he's a decent bloke) so I haven't had a chance to ask him about it.
I remember the colour scheme. Raced on one (though not one like that). The picture is of an "imitation" race bike, sort of. Probably plain gauge tubing and at least 11-12kg.. Check out the clearances, cheap extension, saet pillar with a great big steel clip attached. At least on the proper race bikes we had campag 27.2 seat pillars.They were quite short compared to the monsters used today.
So far as the bits are concerned it's a Stronglight chainset, Mafac brakes (which didn't work and were scary on descents) plastic Simplex mech which bent, non-index downtube levers. The hubs look a bit like Spanish copies of l/f Campag Record. Comment above is a bit wrong - proper race bike were on tubulars, never clinchers, which were heavy, didn't grip in the corners, soggy handling, and were generally useless. Race bikes were steel frames (butted tubing) and weighed in at 9.5kg+ on a good day . It didn't matter much as only the aces had personally built and rebadged kit, which was a bit (but not a lot) lighter.
And you tell kids that today and they don't believe you, etc., etc...^_^

Citius

Comment above is a bit wrong - proper race bike were on tubulars, never clinchers, which were heavy, didn't grip in the corners,

The bike in the pic is fitted with tubs - Conti Giros. It is an imitation though, like I said on p1...

It didn't matter much as only the aces had personally built and rebadged kit,

The majority of the pro teams were on re-badged custom build frames, so I suspect Peugeot was no exception. Certainly the Raleigh pro team frames of the day were all farmed out to custom builders...

oldroadman

Veteran
The bike in the pic is fitted with tubs - Conti Giros. It is an imitation though, like I said on p1...

The majority of the pro teams were on re-badged custom build frames, so I suspect Peugeot was no exception. Certainly the Raleigh pro team frames of the day were all farmed out to custom builders...
Spot on. Many moons ago an Italian builder with a workshop under the Vigorelli used to supply unpainted frames for pros, which were then painted in sponsor colours.

oldroadman

Veteran
Zeus, if I remember correctly. They aped the full range of Campag kit and were a favourite among those of us too skint to buy the real thing.
Yes, correct, well done! I remember using Zeus pedals as a junior (too long ago to think about). Was it not in the time when Spanish companies just copied and renamed stuff. Even Seat cars at that time were simply copies of Fiat. Funny that neither car was much cop and rusted away - never rains in Italy or Spain (or Dagenham, Mr Ford..). :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Spot on. Many moons ago an Italian builder with a workshop under the Vigorelli used to supply unpainted frames for pros, which were then painted in sponsor colours.
I believe Barry Hoban's frames were made by Woodrup. When he died Simpson had two unpainted frames waiting for him at Condor Cycles, ready for the following season when they were to be finished in Salvarani colours.

oldroadman

Veteran
I believe Barry Hoban's frames were made by Woodrup. When he died Simpson had two unpainted frames waiting for him at Condor Cycles, ready for the following season when they were to be finished in Salvarani colours.
Is it my ancient eyesight, or lost in the picture, but the back brake seems to lack a cable. Not that it would make much difference with those Mafacs!
I remember the boxes had a picture of a wild-eyed rider on a descent, with the slogan which translated as "one finger is enough". Which was accurate, they worked as well with no fingers or a handful. The eyes were probably showing terror, thinking about it....:ohmy:

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Is it my ancient eyesight, or lost in the picture, but the back brake seems to lack a cable. Not that it would make much difference with those Mafacs!
I remember the boxes had a picture of a wild-eyed rider on a descent, with the slogan which translated as "one finger is enough". Which was accurate, they worked as well with no fingers or a handful. The eyes were probably showing terror, thinking about it....:ohmy:
No cables fitted to either brake. Maybe the shop owner shares your view of Mafacs.

Top Bottom