In The Window of My LBS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
PX10.jpg

Peugeot PX10 as ridden by Merckx, Simpson and Roger Pingeon and others. My all time favourite colour scheme, I spent half an hour drooling over it this morning.

Looks to be original with Mafac Racer brakes and Simplex gears. I didn't note out the chainset but it looks like a Stronglight which is what the team used.

The shop, Lunar Cycles in Fishguard rarely seems to be open despite being their for two years (Don't know how he keeps going but he's a decent bloke) so I haven't had a chance to ask him about it.

Last edited:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Good to see the pic was taken from inside the shop - and that you wiped the bike clean of your drool xx( ... :giggle:

Nice bike too. :okay: Seems to be a long reach from the bars to the hoods or is it just the angle ?

I find these bikes lovely to look at, especially in such good condition and Chapeau to all who rode them with or without ditinction - but would I like to ride one ? Maybe - but not for very long ... :huh:

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Good to see the pic was taken from inside the shop - and that you wiped the bike clean of your drool xx( ... :giggle:

Nice bike too. :okay: Seems to be a long reach from the bars to the hoods or is it just the angle ?

I find these bikes lovely to look at, especially in such good condition and Chapeau to all who rode them with or without ditinction - but would I like to ride one ? Maybe - but not for very long ... :huh:
The picture was taken from outside as it happens. 10:45am and he was still closed. I passed back at 3:30 and their was a note on the window, "Back in 15 minutes".

Re the bars, they used to have a deeper drop back then. I'd like to ride it too, but like you I reckon after the novelty wore off I'd be hankering after something modern again. Nice to see it shod with tubs on period rims and hubs though there were no stickers on the rims, possibly Fiamme?

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I reckon you've missed him. He was probably open on Monday.
Daft name for a shop, isn't it? By all accounts he knows his stuff and he was friendly and helpful when I spent my hard earned on a gear cable the other year, but God knows how he keeps going. On a couple of occasions he was shut completely for about three weeks.

I'll have to pop in when I do see him open again. If the Pug is for sale rather than display and I get the right number of winners at Cheltenham next month I'll buy it just to hang on the living room wall. I'll convince Mrs SJ that it's always been there and she is just losing the plot.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Daft name for a shop, isn't it? By all accounts he knows his stuff and he was friendly and helpful when I spent my hard earned on a gear cable the other year, but God knows how he keeps going. On a couple of occasions he was shut completely for about three weeks.

I'll have to pop in when I do see him open again. If the Pug is for sale rather than display and I get the right number of winners at Cheltenham next month I'll buy it just to hang on the living room wall. I'll convince Mrs SJ that it's always been there and she is just losing the plot.

Lunar Cycles? Shut for three weeks then open for a few days? Maybe the name means something?

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
LOVE IT!!!!!! My first road bike was a Pug, when I was 10! They called em Racers then. (1978)

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
There are stickers on the rims in the pic - can't make out what they are though. Possibly Fiamme. All I would say is that the bike is dressed-up like a race bike, but it isn't....
Looking again the frame has mudguard eyes so you are right, it wasn't sold as an out and out racing frame though many riders did race on such frames in those more austere times when n+1 was an expensive option. I should think Peugeot made several variations of the same design.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'd actually love to ride one of those top race bikes and see how it compares with a modern carbon bike. More comfortable, I bet.

Citius

I'd actually love to ride one of those top race bikes and see how it compares with a modern carbon bike. More comfortable, I bet.

Depends on the fit and setup. The trend back then was for narrow, 18-20mm, high pressure tyres. but even with modern rubber there's no reason why the comfort should be any different to a modern bike, tbh..

Top Bottom