Incentivising cycling at work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Debade

Über Member
This is the program I would add to your investigation. Sorry, I can’t get to the link right now but it is the League of American Bicyclists, Bicycle Friendly Business program. It will provide the criteria for a business to qualify for the designation Bicycle Friendly Business. It will also provide the levels that can be earned. And a list of businesses that have earned the award. You could ultimately reach out to one or mote them and learn their experience. Perhaps there will be one in a related industry but any will likely be helpful.

I would also search to learn if there is an equivalent program on your side of the pond

Your management should know the ‘ante’. for a successful program which includes a safe and protective place to store the commuter bike, a shower, etc. This is all discussed on the BFB website.

Good luck and if you have trouble finding the website or have general questions, feel free to send a message.

markemark

Über Member
Why is it any of the business of the company how an employee gets to work? If there’s a cost to the business, eg parking facilities, then manage those costs by either charging or reducing the spaces.

I would start with safe secure parking for bikes and facilities for showers and lockers.

Monitoring is rather difficult without coming over all Big Brother - why not introduce a monthly prize fund instead where everyone who cycles in gets a free entry.

Also - if you use Strava - or something similar - like that then it would count as commercial usage - you would need to talk to them about how you are allowed to do this. Which may be an advantage as they will probably already have systems set up to help you.

Landsurfer

Veteran
2nd Friday afternoon each month at our work is Cycling, walking, swimming or down the pub afternoon for all the staff..
All staff are salaried and work 0830 to 1600 but are invariably coming in from 0730 hrs onward ....
So Sports Afternoon once a month it is.

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Why is it any of the business of the company how an employee gets to work? If there’s a cost to the business, eg parking facilities, then manage those costs by either charging or reducing the spaces.

^_^

1) A healthy workforce is a happy workforce and a happy workforce is a productive workforce, less absences and a better work atmosphere.
2) We all need to cut CO2 emissions wherever we can and this helps

Building on the existing program plus the strava suggestion,
1) formal sign up to the program so those who want to participate are not forced into it to avoid legal issues.
2) Condition of entry is strava and limited audit sampling every 3 months - candidates are picked randomly
3) Candidates to submit claims officially
4) Target should be 80% to provide allowance for being sick, inclement weather, Garmin battery ran out, the toast was burnt days etc

People less likely to cheat if a program requires formal participation notice and the need to submit claims indicating their mileage.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Company invests in some second hand bikes - go to refuse centre and make do up a handful. Lend them to prospective participants if they would like to try it out for a couple of months first?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
^_^

1) A healthy workforce is a happy workforce and a happy workforce is a productive workforce, less absences and a better work atmosphere.
2) We all need to cut CO2 emissions wherever we can and this helps

Riding a bike does not stop people from picking up illnesses like a cold or the occasional virus, by far the most common reason for absence. And everyone having to shower on arrival would knock a massive hole in the environmental stuff.

And why on earth would people need to shower after a five or six mile commute? It isn't a Grand Tour mountain stage.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
And why on earth would people need to shower after a five or six mile commute? It isn't a Grand Tour mountain stage.

Each to their own, I suppose. Depends on speed, effort, gradient, ambient temperature etc. I for one would always want to be fresh and clean at work. One place I worked didn't have facilities and had to rely on baby wipes, towel and deodorant after a quick wash in the loos. Not great, imho.

Reactions: C R
I think it's quite a sad state of affairs that management jump to the conclusion that people will cheat. It suggests so many things and none of them are positive.

People are motivated by different things. For some, a bike ride might be a quicker way to work than a car or public transport. For others it might be the fresh air and a break from stress - but then again if it's in a busy city...... It could be fitness or it could be a money saver. Strava might appeal to the competitive ones and be a total turn off for others.

Then there's the fact that there are cyclists, people who ride bikes, people who never ride bikes and people who would never ride a bike. With 20 employees it can't be that hard to have a chat and find out what puts people off? And then work to overcome those. Of course, it would be helpful if management have a budget in mind.

Unfortunately I can see a whole lot of legal problems if work supplies bikes or carries out repairs or servicing.

I'd imagine (totally non-scientific) that fear or anxiety plays a part. Fear of an accident, fear of discomfort, fear of breaking down, fear of being the last, sweaty cyclist to show up. Jim or Jemima might be perfectly happy to cycle to work but perhaps their spouse isn't.

You know, with only 20 employees it would be possible for you as the "experienced" commuter to help them plan decent routes from home to work and back again..... And even ride with them once or twice, legalities permitting.

There's some good suggestions here - at a minimum a decent place to store bikes - but I think the best source are the people you want to motivate. Ask them.
And yourself. Arriving in fresh, chirpy and not feckin' and blinding about the traffic on the roads would help. ^_^

And Google. See what else has worked.

Good luck and please report back on progress if any.

Top Bottom