Incentivising cycling at work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Really good points.

I think it shouldn't be seen as a standalone thing - we're working on all kinds of employee benefits; introducing private healthcare, dressdown Fridays, Birthdays off, the Cycle to Work Scheme itself and this is just an extension of all that. Nobody is forcing anyone to commute by bike, just as we aren't forcing people to take up the reduced gym memberships we negotiated. Since I was made "sustainability champion", we've brought in a lot of schemes like this as well as renovating the building, new LED lights, recycling bins etc and have more planned - new solar powered forklifts for example.

Those that want to commute by bike can and we're going to bring in a rewards scheme to encourage it.

Discussed it with a colleague at lunchtime and the suggestion has been made for an airing room for wet clothes in the winter - not just for the cyclists. We're also going to put in new lockers for everyone. We'll put in a proper bike shelter too rather than cluttering up the warehouse.

I totally agree though that monitoring it through Strava isn't good and I'm going to recommend we just trust people. Out of 20, if we get even 3 or 4 doing it regularly we'll be doing well.

tfc03

Veteran
Parking cash out schemes are very popular in the US, less so in the UK. You give people a few quid each day they DONT use the car park. [while also doing all the stuff mentioned above regarding providing secure bike storage etc.]. Scant detail of one scheme here: https://www.mobility-academy.eu/mod/book/tool/print/index.php?id=315

D

Deleted member 26715

I think it's quite a sad state of affairs that management jump to the conclusion that people will cheat. It suggests so many things and none of them are positive.

It maybe a bad state of affairs, but it shows a certain amount of naivety on your side, if you thought it doesn't need to be considered. There is a certain element in most workplaces whose natural instinct is to think "What's in it for me" and "What can I do to make my benefits better"

markemark

Über Member
1) A healthy workforce is a happy workforce and a happy workforce is a productive workforce, less absences and a better work atmosphere.
2) We all need to cut CO2 emissions wherever we can and this helps
Excellent goals for a company.

Is your company going to reward those that eat healthily, stop smoking, cut down on drinking and not take flights?

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I would not offer an incentive. But I would make sure there was secure bike parking and showers for those who wanted to cycle.

Out of 20, if we get even 3 or 4 doing it regularly we'll be doing well.
With such a small workforce I genuinely can't see "cheating" being an issue. Then again, I'm naive ^_^
Also, the fact that there's a whole plethora of other things happening is a bit of motivation in itself.
The drying room for all is a good example of how an incentive or investment for one "group" can benefit all.

It maybe a bad state of affairs, but it shows a certain amount of naivety on your side, if you thought it doesn't need to be considered. There is a certain element in most workplaces whose natural instinct is to think "What's in it for me" and "What can I do to make my benefits better"
Naive I may be (although I'd suggest willing to give the benefit of the doubt as a more positive, less insulting label) but at least I answered the OP.^_^

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Is your company going to reward those that eat healthily, stop smoking, cut down on drinking and not take flights?

Excellent goals for a company.

We heard you the first time ;)

Eating healthy, stopping smoking, cutting down drinking comes with it's own rewards.
Unless the flights are for work purposes, it's nowt to do with the employer how one gets to their holiday destination.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I cannot think of a good answer here but here's an idea...

Ask people what they would like when they drive in to work. For example, a parking space closer to the main entrance of your office, or a financial assistance program to aid with the rising price of fuel.

And then tell them bike parking spaces will be reserved in the car park closest to the main entrance plus they would have used no gasoline. Then also provide luncheon vouchers because the cyclists have to eat more to keep going (although in 5 miles it's probably zero).

This plan has many flaws, I know.... I recall when I used to bike-commute. If I chose to, my train travel was free of charge but I still chose to ride a bike because I wanted to. I'm not sure how to get people riding; if the high fuel prices hasn't motivated the people, IDK what will (short of financial incentives that could backfire).

Hey, how about free monthly bike servicing program?

I would start with safe secure parking for bikes and facilities for showers and lockers.

+1

My old work building did not have an accesible shower, or a secure bike facility. I compromised by keeping my bike in my office, and ignoring complaints about any BO!

Ive been back on a site a couple times since starting to WFH and one of the new buildings has a shower in every toilet room, lockers and more secure bicycle parking. Thats a massive improvement.

markemark

Über Member
We heard you the first time ;)

Eating healthy, stopping smoking, cutting down drinking comes with it's own rewards.
Unless the flights are for work purposes, it's nowt to do with the employer how one gets to their holiday destination.

….nor is it anything to do with the employer on how staff get to work unless there are costs associated with parking etc.

The op said it’s because they want a healthy and productive workforce and to cut down on pollution…all equally, if not more addressed, with my suggestions.

^_^

1) A healthy workforce is a happy workforce and a happy workforce is a productive workforce, less absences and a better work atmosphere.
2) We all need to cut CO2 emissions wherever we can and this helps
Also - car parking space costs the company money - especially if the company expands

Cycle parking and facilities take up less space and hence reduce the overhead of staff parking
Doesn;t apply to all companies - but it does for quite a lot

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
….nor is it anything to do with the employer on how staff get to work unless there are costs associated with parking etc.

The op said it’s because they want a healthy and productive workforce and to cut down on pollution…all equally, if not more addressed, with my suggestions.

It's about the carbon footprint of the employer... how people get to work can affect that. How they go on holiday probably won't.

It's part of our sustainability efforts and helps cut CO2 emissions. ...

Last edited:
Top Bottom