Incentivising cycling at work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
I think the best way is to first look at things which prevent uptake of cycling to work. Secure bike storage is a must, the places which do this best in my experience provide a covered bike shed with a lockable entrance. All staff members can get a key (sometimes with a small deposit, sometimes not) allowing them access and the bikes are covered and protected from the elements.

Providing showers is great, but unless you have somewhere to change and store clothes this is less than ideal and most people won't bother, and this has to be of good quality and in sufficient quantity that everyone can get to work on time and get changed/shower if needed without long queues forming. I've worked in a place where there was a shower in the disabled toilet, but there were about 8 of us who cycled in, all starting around the same time and inevitable someone decided to use the disabled toilet to have a sh!t at that time so there would be a queue at least once or twice a week.

The bonus of providing infrastructure like this is that it can serve more than one purpose, it can allow you to encourage people to take a longer lunch and go for a run or to the gym and freshen up when they get back.

In terms of incentives, there are a number of things you can do, be wary as mentioned of indirect discrimination, but you could for example partner with a local bike shop and offer free servicing once every six months / year if you cycle in at least once a week. I think financial incentives could work, but you could encourage people other ways as well, reduce the amount of parking in the office so there isn't quite enough for everyone, and plant a garden where some of it used to be for example.

You could also add in some competitions around health and wellbeing, with points for cycling into work as part of the participation - there could well be a financial incentive there overall, most points / most improved wins a voucher kind of thing.

Mike_P

Guru
My work place has a secure cycle shed but access is via the coding strip in the ID card so I think everyone at work has access to it. Suppose it should be possible to limit access by appropriate coding.

I think the best way is to first look at things which prevent uptake of cycling to work. Secure bike storage is a must, the places which do this best in my experience provide a covered bike shed with a lockable entrance. All staff members can get a key (sometimes with a small deposit, sometimes not) allowing them access and the bikes are covered and protected from the elements.

Providing showers is great, but unless you have somewhere to change and store clothes this is less than ideal and most people won't bother, and this has to be of good quality and in sufficient quantity that everyone can get to work on time and get changed/shower if needed without long queues forming. I've worked in a place where there was a shower in the disabled toilet, but there were about 8 of us who cycled in, all starting around the same time and inevitable someone decided to use the disabled toilet to have a sh!t at that time so there would be a queue at least once or twice a week.

The bonus of providing infrastructure like this is that it can serve more than one purpose, it can allow you to encourage people to take a longer lunch and go for a run or to the gym and freshen up when they get back.

In terms of incentives, there are a number of things you can do, be wary as mentioned of indirect discrimination, but you could for example partner with a local bike shop and offer free servicing once every six months / year if you cycle in at least once a week. I think financial incentives could work, but you could encourage people other ways as well, reduce the amount of parking in the office so there isn't quite enough for everyone, and plant a garden where some of it used to be for example.

You could also add in some competitions around health and wellbeing, with points for cycling into work as part of the participation - there could well be a financial incentive there overall, most points / most improved wins a voucher kind of thing.

You are quite right and here is a good example: a few years ago I cycled along the length of the Rhine and passed through Ludwigshafen that is dominated by the huge BASF factory. I took this photo of their bicycle shed which illustrates (a) where a cycling culture exists the infrastructure supports cycling. Without an infrastructure the reasons for not cycling are greater than the reason to cycle.

Bike shed.jpeg

For the last 30 odd years I lived a mile away from work.
I'd either walk 1m, bike 2m or run in 3.5m.
I must have saved thousands by not needing a car for work.

Really didn't enjoy the days of having to do a long drive to work - no fun at all compared with my preferred transport.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
If it was more widely realised that all the workers are within 30 minutes door to door cycling home to work, it might open a few eyes. For an old work place I did a tube style map showing the timings from the main places within 10 miles along routes you’d be happy cycling. Put them up on the bicycle notice boards I’d arranged near several key entrances.

Last edited:
Cycle to work was my biggest incentive, that plus realising I'd be paying £60p/m to sit on a crappy bus for an hour every day.

Facilities I've always just learnt to deal with. Best ones are at my current employer though I think showers and lockers are stil in short supply - some parts of the business fund their areas better than others but that's always going to be an issue until individual departments agree to have a centrally funded approach (not likely this century!).

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
There's been a lot of talk about showers and changing but I think it's important to reassure people that special cycling clothes aren't necessary. The OP mentions journeys of less than 5 miles. Obviously it depends on the dress code in the workplace but I think for journeys of that sort of length there's no reason why people can't ride in comfortable casual clothing.

When I was commuting to the station - 5 miles each way - that's what I would do. Maybe an extra jumper for sitting in the office (our office is cold!) and I tended to keep a change of shoes at work so I didn't have to wear trainers all day.

I think the more that people think they need to faff about the more they're likley to be put off.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Ensure there are sufficient showers, bike storage, drying areas, lockers available.

Work on the management first. If they start cycling, the workers will follow.

Invite "cycle to work" providers to give demonstrations/talks.

Hold specific, well publicised cycle to work days. Say last Friday of each month and provide do-nuts for those taking part.

Some ideas

Good luck

and make the showering and changing part of working hours

gavgav

Guru
It was the boss who considered the cheating. I was just going to go on trust. We know how far each commute is, if they turn up on a bike I'd consider it done.

What an appalling sounding boss, if they don’t trust the staff enough for something as excellent as this idea 🤷‍♂️

D

Deleted member 26715

What an appalling sounding boss, if they don’t trust the staff enough for something as excellent as this idea 🤷‍♂️

LOL, he's a realist, his world does not include fairies & unicorns

Top Bottom