Incident in Glasgow - 6 feared dead :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
It's awful.

On the press thing, a friend was killed earlier this year whilst cycling round the world with her husband. The press were all over their village, knocking on doors, trying to get people to talk about it. Nobody did, which was great of them, but then they found out that one of her sisters was living in their house while they were away and they descended on the property like locusts. I can't even begin to imagine how she felt.

Brandane

Legendary Member
BBC now reporting there were 2 other people in the cab when this happened. Presumably bin-men. Perhaps it's easy to say now, but why didn't one of them pull the hand brake on when they realised what was happening? They are air brakes on a lorry, and would have stopped it in its tracks. As a lorry driver, I have never driven one where a passenger wouldn't have easy access to it.
Perhaps they didn't know where it was, but if not, why not? Something to introduce into H&S training instead of being so blindly focused on PPE?

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
BBC now reporting there were 2 other people in the cab when this happened. Presumably bin-men. Perhaps it's easy to say now, but why didn't one of them pull the hand brake on when they realised what was happening? They are air brakes on a lorry, and would have stopped it in its tracks. As a lorry driver, I have never driven one where a passenger wouldn't have easy access to it.
Perhaps they didn't know where it was, but if not, why not? Something to introduce into H&S training instead of being so blindly focused on PPE?
I believe there is a back cab for others to sit...maybe they were sitting behind and couldn't get access?
I think when you have been a member of the emergency services you go into auto pilot (like my recent incident with a collapsed man in a store) but I think many would panic and I bet it happened so fast :sad:

subaqua

What’s the point

oooh speculatory bollox . gotta love it . blind panic perhaps ( ooh more speculation) . lets leave the investigation to police scotland and the proper authorities.

Reactions: TVC

stephec

Legendary Member
I believe there is a back cab for others to sit...maybe they were sitting behind and couldn't get access?
I think when you have been a member of the emergency services you go into auto pilot (like my recent incident with a collapsed man in a store) but I think many would panic and I bet it happened so fast :sad:

You just beat me to it on the panic bit.

They could've both frozen and sat staring at their mate wondering what was happening.

I remember someone telling me about a time when they were in a large factory fire. He said, "you might imagine a situation like that where you act the big hero, but when you're there and you see that fire coming you don't think, you just run like f**k."

Brandane

Legendary Member
oooh speculatory bollox . gotta love it . blind panic perhaps ( ooh more speculation) . lets leave the investigation to police scotland and the proper authorities.
Thank you. I did try to qualify it with the "perhaps it's easy to say now" bit.
This is a cycling forum, not Glasgow Sheriff Court, so a bit of speculation isn't really going to influence the outcome of any enquiries. As much as some would like to think differently :rolleyes:.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I notice the now customary sea of flowers has appeared as they do when a disaster happens. Not only that but ghouls taking pictures of the sea of flowers. The local florists will be coining it in.

subaqua

What’s the point
Thank you. I did try to qualify it with the "perhaps it's easy to say now" bit.
This is a cycling forum, not Glasgow Sheriff Court, so a bit of speculation isn't really going to influence the outcome of any enquiries. As much as some would like to think differently :rolleyes:.

OK lets look at it like thisa.

if it was a cyclist who had been squished under a lorry would we all speculate ? No .

A man has been arrested for "malicious communication" after tweeting:

“So a bin lorry has crashed into 100 people in Glasgow eh, probably the most trash its ever picked up in one day that.”

What rock to these people crawl from under?

Top Bottom