Incident in Glasgow - 6 feared dead :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
I hope the bloke made a full disclosure of his medical history.When he applied for the job.One our our lads at work,had a sort of fit at home.The DVLA took his motorcycle license off him for a year.It caused him no end of trouble getting too and from work.We were in the middle of nowhere in Stourton Leeds .

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I hope the bloke made a full disclosure of his medical history.When he applied for the job.One our our lads at work,had a sort of fit at home.The DVLA took his motorcycle license off him for a year.It caused him no end of trouble getting too and from work.We were in the middle of nowhere in Stourton Leeds .

Have a read at this, it doesn't look like he was honest about his past. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-33702639

GC

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3827113, member: 259"][QUOTE="postman, post: 3827047, member: 367"]I hope the bloke made a full disclosure of his medical history.When he applied for the job.One our our lads at work,had a sort of fit at home.The DVLA took his motorcycle license off him for a year.It caused him no end of trouble getting too and from work.We were in the middle of nowhere in Stourton Leeds .[/QUOTE]

No he lied about it.[/QUOTE]
BTW the like is for the comment, if someone is unfit to drive a vehicle then they shouldn't drive.
There is no excuse for lying about it. :cursing:

The trouble is you can see why - would most likely have lost their job which would be a financial disaster for many.

The issue here though is that the potential harm HGVs, tippers trucks, refuse lorries etc can do. If I lied at work about blacking out, some people may get their printing a little late. Nobody is ever likely to die as a result.

There really needs to be a major overhaul based in the danger and potential harm these things can do. They need tighter controls on who is fit for work and greater punishment for those that flout the rules. The constant shiftng of blame for cyclists and pedestrian lurking where they can;lt see them has to be put way behind the need to drivers to be held to a greater degree of responsibility - this should include testing every 2/3 years, thorough medicals (including eye sight) and instant ban for talking on mobiles/fiddling with tachographs etc etc. Driving bans should then be permanent.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I'm alarmed at the number of people I know who are driving despite taking medication or having a medical condition that impairs their judgement and reaction times. One of the (many) reasons I stopped driving and sold my car is that I thought I could be a danger to other road users. Putting aside people who depend on their ability to drive for their income, it's a sad reflection of our dependency on cars that other means of transport aren't reasonable, reliable nor desirable alternatives.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Why would he lose his job, there are a team of 4 or 5 in most bin lorries, they dont all drive. Why couldnt he just collect the bins instead.
Does the driver get paid more than the others?
He lied on the application to become a bin lorry driver, his previous blackouts had occurred when he drove a BUS:eek:
[QUOTE 3826976, member: 259"]Just read this. Apparently the driver had had blackouts before and collapsed previously when he was a bus driver.[/QUOTE]

Col5632

Guru
I'm alarmed at the number of people I know who are driving despite taking medication or having a medical condition that impairs their judgement and reaction times. One of the (many) reasons I stopped driving and sold my car is that I thought I could be a danger to other road users. Putting aside people who depend on their ability to drive for their income, it's a sad reflection of our dependency on cars that other means of transport aren't reasonable, reliable nor desirable alternatives.

My dad's wife is currently doing this very thing because she is a cleaner and no work means no money but surely her and other's safety should be more important :cursing:

The driver has been suspended.

Luckily they suspended him before he did any harm. Oh.

Fubar

Guru
But the Crown Office and the Procurators Fiscal have already ruled out a prosecution... even before the Fatal Accident Inquiry had started. Shameful behaviour on their part.

I'm willing to place money they won't have the balls to review their decision.

Yes, and I don't understand how they can justify that decision - particularly with the increasing evidence coming out now.

I assume the families could take out a private prosecution against the driver?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ot-bring-criminal-charges-driver-harry-clarke

The Herald newspaper has reported two other cases this week where the Crown Office has failed to prosecute motorists who killed people after a blackout,including a bus driver who killed a colleague after fainting at the wheel for the third time. Prosecutors in both cases said there was no evidence the drivers’ conduct at the time of each crash was criminal.

Families of some of the six victims of the bin lorry crash have expressed their anger that prosecutors have ruled out any charges, and hinted at the weekend they could consider a private prosecution. Lawyers for the family of one victim, Jacqueline Morton, told the Sun on Sunday they were “surprised and disappointed” at the Crown Office decision.

The Morton family statement said it was “factually and legally incorrect” for the Crown Office to believe they would need to prove he knew he might faint in order to prosecute him for dangerous or careless driving.

Licramite

Über Member
the mans a murderer simple as that. He knew it could happen - it had happened in the past, he's as guilty as a drunk driver.
If I was a relative of one of his victims I wouldn't be seeking the law I would be seeking a shotgun, as you will not get justice in this country.

Top Bottom