Incident near Oval Tube this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
amnezia said:
No where does it say that the driver has been charged with dangerous driving. I think you need to stop jumping to conclusions without knowing any of the facts. Also, your suggestion that driver ran over the cyclist deliberately is not only moronic it could also be considered libellous.

Its a terrible thing to happen to a fellow cyclist but there's no need to go around making unsubstantiated claims.

Well you obviously haven't read the article properly. Go forth and read :tongue:. Whose the moron?

The charge of causing death by danagerous driving has yet to be proved so is itself "unsubstantiated" although as I say the police would not have arrested and charged the truck driver with the instant offence if they didn't think they could realistically get a conviction.

amnezia

Crankarm said:
Well you obviously haven't read the article properly. Go forth and read :tongue:. Whose the moron?

The charge of causing death by danagerous driving has yet to be proved so is itself "unsubstantiated" although as I say the police would not have arrested and charged the truck driver with the instant offence if they didn't think they could realistically get a conviction.

from the article

A Scotland Yard spokesman said the driver was arrested at the scene on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

Being arrested is not the same as being charged

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Crankarm, I really think you need to withdraw the absurd statement you made that you think the driver did this deliberately!

A friend is a police crash investigator, and it is absolutely routine in these cases to charge the driver with the most serious offence possible. If the police do not do so, and the investigation takes a long time, it can prove impossible to prosecute later if no charge has been paid. Thus they charge first, investigate later. This in no way implies that the driver is guilty of anything at all.

Similarly, speculation that the cyclist was at fault by cycling up the inside of the lorry is also unjustified. We simply don't yet know what happened.

Ben

Crankarm

Guru
User3143 said:
Maybe, but you DO have form :tongue:. Only in your eyes

Driving is your field of expertise......... So what level of expertise have you attained another than a license that entitles you to drive the vehicle you do? You do have an HGV 1, 2 or 3 or PSV license don't you or are you just driving 7.5tonne lorries and 3.5 tonne vans on a car license? You haven't raised any points you've merely criticised me. In fact recollecting your posts in general that's all you seem to do - criticise and when you are pulled up by some one you throw your toys out the pram and start insulting posters. I'm licensed to drive/ride any vehicle on the public highway apart from a bus or mini-bus (A,B,B1,C,CE,C1,C1E,) also hold a full ADR apart from Class 1 & 7 and many moons ago drove a petrol tanker for BP. I didn't criticise at all, merely pointed out that some of the points you raised were mere speculation. Granted you did say this but at the same time speculating that the driver drove over the women intentionally is a touch much IMO.

The police wouldn't have charged this driver with causing death by dangerous driving if they did not think the conduct of the driver seriously wanting or his driving did not fall far below the standard of a reasonable, prudent and competent driver. Lets hope they get the conviction and a decent sentence is passed. Agreed, (If he has been charged) but I still think that saying this, that and the other on a cycling forum of what could have happened is tad out of order. Not throwing my toys out of my pram at all.

No, you DO have form. It is not the right moment or thread to remind everyone of your form.

...and commenting on situations and scenarios is out of order. Well if as I read your comment correctly it were banned prevented which I assume is what your are inferring then 97% of comment on this forum would disappear. You have never made speculative comments, remarks or insults?

Crankarm

Guru
User3143 said:
I try to back up what I say with reason and experience and would never speculate when I'm completely ignorant and certainly not about a women cyclist who was killed and if the driver intentionally run them over.

You still haven't made any condolences to the deceased cyclist. Given this is a cycling forum I find that quite shocking. Pretty much everyone else has. Are you just trying to be argumentative? You are now suggesting I am ignorant. Previously on another thread you have thrown a tanturm and called me an idiot. Hardly the most pleasant contributor here.

I try to use facts and evidence that's why I have studied the pics. There is obviously alot more evidence that is not available, but from the postion that the truck came to rest, the cycle beneath it and other things around shown in the pics I surmise that it would be difficult for the driver not to have noticed her had he been paying sufficient attention. Given that he has almost completed the turn as opposed to commencing it or is in the middle of it or if they were both along side each other starting off the final positioning may well have been different. I contend that he must have seen her which makes me think that there is more to this incident than intially meets the eye and given my experience with these specific types of vehicles and drivers may have been intentional.

Here is another lady cyclist who was tragically killed last week when in collision with a truck in Southampton Row, Holborn. Not sure if it featured here.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/stand...ion+is+the+second+victim+in+a+week/article.do

Crankarm

Guru
Fab Foodie said:
Good move. Frankly crankarm, in the context of this thread, you're being a knob.

FF I had considered you one of the more sensible contributors on these forums never one to jump on a passing nasty bandwagon to make a cheap low comment. However in the context of this thread consider my view of you reversed.

The lorry driver must be very disturbed after that, it will haunt him for the rest of his life. He should receive counseling, as should those who witnessed it.

We are fortunate that we know these risks. This government should do a lot more to educate people about the risks of cycling near lorries etc. I have never heard a politician even mention this.

This has irked me abit tbh. I had abit of a near miss today. There was some sort of blockage (maybe roadworks, can't remember) on the left lane of a three laned junction. I was moving toward middle as I wanted to go straight ahead. The middle lights were green so I sped along into the middle lane and passing the blocked left lane.

The left lane was only blocked in the middle, so cars were able to drive round the blockage and turn to the left. Unfortunately the middle lights went red so I had to stop. Because I thought the lane was blocked I didn't realise that a car had driven round the blockage and was about to pass me.

I put my foot down over the line seperating the two lanes and the car almost ran over it. Normally the best thing to do would be to hog the middle of the left lane whilst indicating so the cars can't get past but a combination of lights and blockage didn't allow this.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Riverman said:
We are fortunate that we know these risks. This government should do a lot more to educate people about the risks of cycling near lorries etc. I have never heard a politician even mention this.

When I returned to cycling as an adult I didn't know that risk but luckily I happened to stumble across the old CC site, and it was one of the most important things I learnt from there. But loads of cyclists don't read forums so there needs to be another way to get the idea across.

Crankarm

Guru
Bigtwin said:
That would seem to be a bit of a waste of time.

Why?

Maybe just a plain lack of respect IMHO. Sadly indicative of the aggressive interactions we see on the road and a number of posts that appear on here ;).

Guys, can we leave it here. I think we've lost sight of what this thread is all about. If anyone has any petty arguments can we take them either to PM or to Politics.

Origamist

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Guys, can we leave it here. I think we've lost sight of what this thread is all about. If anyone has any petty arguments can we take them either to PM or to Politics.

I said the same thing 7 pages ago and pointed out a thread that had a HGV safety video that could have been discussed in detail. More importantly, the message would have reached a far wider audience and could have been a springboard for more constructive debate. (Look at the amount of times this thread has been read compared to the thread in Campaigning.)

The shitty trajectory of this thread is as predictable as it is sad.

Origamist said:
I said the same thing 7 pages ago and pointed out a thread that had a HGV safety video that could have been discussed in detail. More importantly, the message would have reached a far wider audience and could have been a springboard for more constructive debate. (Look at the amount of times this thread has been read compared to the thread in Campaigning.)

The shitty trajectory of this thread is as predictable as it is sad.

Well, I've just started another thread in the hope of making something positive out of this...

Top Bottom