Incident near Oval Tube this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

scouserinlondon

garrilla said:
Its gruesome and disturbing. The bike is pretty far under the vehicle which itself is away from the kerb. It simply leaves me cold thinking about it.

Me too, it's the first fatal RTA I've ever witnessed the aftermath of and it's really knocked my confidence.

Origamist

Legendary Member
scouserinlondon said:
Me too, it's the first fatal RTA I've ever witnessed the aftermath of and it's really knocked my confidence.

If you want someone to ride with you for a few miles, let me know. I come in from Streatham Park.

RRCC

Guru
Origamist said:
Yes, it's a feeder lane on Harleyford St. that leads to a ped crossing. The photo shows only where the vehicle came to rest. The A202/A3 junction on the approach from Clapham Rd does not have a feeder lane, only an ASL reservoir.

Photo from Google maps

OP
OP
S

scouserinlondon

Origamist said:
If you want someone to ride with you for a few miles, let me know. I come in from Streatham Park.
Cheers mate. It's been a very sobering reminder of not taking silly risks. I'd noticed myself doing the commuter lemming trick a couple of times and just following the crowd.

Crankarm

Guru
Truly shocking pics. I have turned cold and have goose bumps and it is 28.4C. I sincerely hope she did not suffer but this sadly looks like it was not the case. What an awful death.

As it happened in rush hour hopefully there will have been witlesses who saw it and will come forward, plus CCTV. The driver was arrested at the scene according to the article charged with causing death by dangerous driving which is good. The lorry looks like it has just rounded the bend behind. Both it and the cyclist must have been travelling in the same direction, obviously there are facts and evidence yet to be discovered but initially to me it looks like the driver of the lorry has just driven right over the cyclist from her rear right quarter as the front wheels are quite sharply turned onto the bike. I bet he was going too fast around the bend had got to close and drove over her intentionally, it happens, (It nearly did to me last year as the driver had seen me and just wanted to run me off the road) or she had a problem - ped crossing causing her to brake, or a controlled ped crossing showing a red light or something caused her to slow or stop suddenly and the driver just drove straight over her. Shocking, absolutely shocking :sad:. It's not as if the vehicle has made contact knocked her off and veered away it has driven right over her, I suspect he only stopped as people on the pavement shouted at him he was curshing a cyclist :ohmy:. Surely the cyclist was close to the cab when he turned and you look to where you are going when you turn? Surely he would have heard/seen something. I think there is a lot more to this than meets the eye. Maybe he was using a mobile whilst driving :tongue:. Pure speculation but something has to explain why the bike is so far under the truck. Hopefully the police and HSE will invetigate fully.

I agree of HGV tipper drivers - that they are the worst as more often than not they are driven by ignorant knuckle draggers who would sooner run you off the road than pull out or slow to give you space and time. As I say one tried to do just this to me last year. But I shouted back at him as he was about 2 feet behind my wheel gesticulating down at me to get out the way. He then forced me off the road onto the verge, then got dwon from his cab to try assault me. When he realised he was going to get his head smashed with my D-lock he backed off, got back in his truck, drove off and waited up the road Duel style then had another pop at me after I had cycled by. Had I not jumped with bike off the road into a 4 ft deep drainage ditch I would have been very dead. He was knuckle dragging thug driving a huge KERRY PLANT HIRE aggregates truck, green and white cabs, whose yard is at Pondersbridge, near Peterborough, Cambs. Beware if you see them the drivers are total psychopathic maniacs.

I am so sorry for this cyclist and her family and friends. She looked like she was a "proper cyclist" there being a road shoe with cleats in the first pic and she was wearing a decent .....helmet which is lying forlonly under the middle of the lorry in one of the pics and no doubt she was wearing hi viz as well.

I think the partial cycle lane to the right might not be relevant as it is too far from the point of impact. Maybe the cyclist wasn't in it? Hopefully there will be good CCTV.

Didn't like the comment atributed to some numptee commuter at Oval station that you didn't want to see this sort of thing on your way to work. What! So it is ok to see it any other time :angry:?

It's a sickening sight....

Without casting blame at anyone here, or elsewhere, can I ask, just what is the point of trying to sit next to the first vehicle in a queue? I don't understand this.....

Crankarm

Guru
stoatsngroats said:
It's a sickening sight....

Without casting blame at anyone here, or elsewhere, can I ask, just what is the point of trying to sit next to the first vehicle in a queue? I don't understand this.....

I don't know, but I think we'll find that this was not the case here as for my reasons above.

I sit just in front of the first vehicle where ever safe to do so and look back several times at the vehicle, the driver and the number plate. If when I clip in they are too close or I think they are going to cut me up I put my right arm out with palm up to them in a stop motion, look at them and put a few wobbles in for good measure. This works without fail. Most car drivers perversely don't want the hassle of their cars being scratched/damaged if they get too close to you. With trucks I don't know where you begin as they aren't going to incur any damage colliding with a cyclist. Just give them all a wide berth and be mega assertive.

Crankarm

Guru
User3143 said:

I don't appreiate you dissecting my post or could it be because you ARE a truck driver and have previously insulted me in another post fancying a pop at me again?

Crankarm said:
I don't appreiate you dissecting my post or could it be because you ARE a truck driver and have previously insulted me in another post fancying a pop at me again?

Mate, to be fair I think lee let you off kinda lightly with his dissection. Your suggestion that the driver intentionally drove over the cyclist
I bet he was going too fast around the bend had got to close and drove over her intentionally

Is quite a shocking thing to suggest considering how soon after the incident this is, and how little information we actually have. I think you need to take a step back from this as you are getting a little too emotional, IMO.

Origamist

Legendary Member
As family members of the deceased or the driver might read this thread, Cycle Chat Crime Scene Investigator types would be better advised to stop the pointless speculation.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
If/when this goes to court would someone locally remember to give a report back on here please or a link to a newspaper report as to what the official findings are. Thank you.

Crankarm

Guru
User3143 said:
:tongue: Give it a rest and calm down before you start frothing at the mouth.

I am more then entitled to dissect any post that I see fit to dissect, especially as driving is my field of expertise and the points I have raised are all valid.

Maybe, but you DO have form :biggrin:.

Driving is your field of expertise......... So what level of expertise have you attained another than a license that entitles you to drive the vehicle you do? You do have an HGV 1, 2 or 3 or PSV license don't you or are you just driving 7.5tonne lorries and 3.5 tonne vans on a car license? You haven't raised any points you've merely criticised me. In fact recollecting your posts in general that's all you seem to do - criticise and when you are pulled up by some one you throw your toys out the pram and start insulting posters.

The police wouldn't have charged this driver with causing death by dangerous driving if they did not think the conduct of the driver was seriously wanting or his driving did not fall far below the standard of a reasonable, prudent and competent driver. Lets hope they get the conviction and a decent sentence is passed.

RIP the cyclist.

Crankarm

Guru
User3143 said:
We would although this depends on your position at the lights. 'Tis also a good case of actually 'jumping'' the lights and going a couple of yards ahead of the stop line, turning around and making eye contact with the driver.

As for your second point I find this highly unlikely albeit impossible. What you are talking about is using the vehicle as a weapon and considering that you can have between 8 and 11.5 tonnes resting on each axle on a fully laden HGV any impact that said HGV makes with you is likely to do you serious harm.

Believe me when I say that ''we'' are most defo not out to ''get'' cyclists. I always look for them and that's coming from a drivers POV and not of one that cycles to work eveyday.

Above is your earlier contribution to this thread replying to Riverman's post from page 5. Unsurprisingly it has a clear truck driving slant defending truck drivers with an ever so slight hint of confrontation disagreeing with Riverman, not very sensitive given that the thread concerns a cyclist who has just been crushed to death by a truck.

Also I note you are the only one who has not passed a comment of some form of condolence or how shocking the loss of this cyclists life is or that another cyclist has died. Strange that don't you think?

amnezia

Crankarm said:
Maybe, but you DO have form :tongue:.

Driving is your field of expertise......... So what level of expertise have you attained another than a license that entitles you to drive the vehicle you do? You do have an HGV 1, 2 or 3 or PSV license don't you or are you just driving 7.5tonne lorries and 3.5 tonne vans on a car license? You haven't raised any points you've merely criticised me. In fact recollecting your posts in general that's all you seem to do - criticise and when you are pulled up by some one you throw your toys out the pram and start insulting posters.

The police wouldn't have charged this driver with causing death by dangerous driving if they did not think the conduct of the driver seriously wanting or his driving did not fall far below the standard of a reasonable, prudent and competent driver. Lets hope they get the conviction and a decent sentence is passed.

RIP the cyclist.

No where does it say that the driver has been charged with dangerous driving. I think you need to stop jumping to conclusions without knowing any of the facts. Also, your suggestion that driver ran over the cyclist deliberately is not only moronic it could also be considered libellous.

Its a terrible thing to happen to a fellow cyclist but there's no need to go around making unsubstantiated claims.

Top Bottom