Inconsiderate cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I usually cycle alone, but occasionally enjoy a spin with one of the local groups.

Like everyone else here I am mostly bothered by drivers who endanger my safety. I am also aware that groups of cyclists can be inconsiderate in lesser ways eg loud conversations in quiet villages, letting cars wait behind for several minutes when it would be easy to allow them past or close passing pedestrians.

What do you do if you feel a group of which you are part is inconsiderate?

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't find having to wait behind a group of cyclists inconsiderate. Two reasons....

They're as entitled to be there as I am.

Many's the time when I've been stuck in traffic, and it's been me in my tin box getting in the way of cyclists. There's no law of man or nature that insists that all slower traffic gets put of my way.

As for loud conversations, you'll likely find that in dB terms the volume is actually less than the swish of car tyres along tarmac at 30mph.

I would urge any person who struggles with such things to see a doctor before they have a stress cardiomyopathy.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Not inconsiderate but a danger to themselves, a large group from a club I used to belong too, were riding across the white line on blind bends whilst I was following them in my tin box. If that group had a leader he or she should have taken control, very poor show. Before anyone ask's I know these bends well and you cannot see over the hedges unless you are about 11ft 14inches tall.

I don't find having to wair behind a group of cyclists inconsiderate. Two reasons....

They're as entitled to be there as I am.

Many's the time when I've been stuck in traffic, and it's been me in my tin box getting in the way of cyclists. There's no law of man or nature that insists that all slower traffic gets put of my way.

It amazes me how rarely drivers realise this.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Loud shouting is very disturbing to people in quiet villages. We live in a very quiet road and for about three years we were bothered late at night by teenagers gathering at a neighbour's house and shouting, screaming, squealing and generally carrying on. The same applies in a quiet village if a group of walkers or cyclists comes though and somebody shouts it's very disturbing especially to nervous or older residents, by night or by day.

Edit: the same applies when a bunch of soccer fans goes charging through a station concourse or up a street baying like demented dogs; ordinary folk find the sudden noise disturbing and intimidating, which is exactly what it's supposed to do.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Some people are just so self entitled - "how dare cyclists have the temerity to be I'm front of me or speak to one another!" Would the OP be happier if we were banned from the roads and made to wear gags?

I live in a quiet village, and the sound of human voices, be they cyclists or anyone else, is much, much quieter than cars.

Leodis

Veteran
This has to be a trolling.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

lane

Veteran
Loud shouting is very disturbing to people in quiet villages. We live in a very quiet road and for about three years we were bothered late at night by teenagers gathering at a neighbour's house and shouting, screaming, squealing and generally carrying on. The same applies in a quiet village if a group of walkers or cyclists comes though and somebody shouts it's very disturbing especially to nervous or older residents, by night or by day.

Edit: the same applies when a bunch of soccer fans goes charging through a station concourse or up a street baying like demented dogs; ordinary folk find the sudden noise disturbing and intimidating, which is exactly what it's supposed to do.

You don't have a right to silence you know just because you live in a village. Cyclists passing through noisily are come and gone in no time it's really not reasonable to complain about that and it certainly would not bother me. Noisey neighbours on the other hand can be bloody anoying but to a large extent you just have to put up with that as well.

si_c

Guru
Not inconsiderate but a danger to themselves, a large group from a club I used to belong too, were riding across the white line on blind bends whilst I was following them in my tin box. If that group had a leader he or she should have taken control, very poor show. Before anyone ask's I know these bends well and you cannot see over the hedges unless you are about 11ft 14inches tall.

Hmm. Depending on the width of the road I tend to go wide around blind bends on country roads specifically to get a better view of what's coming around the corner so that they and I have more time to respond. On a truly blind bend no matter your mode of transportation you should be slowing down anyway. I started doing this after someone nearly hit me coming around a bend too sharply to have been able to see properly what was around the corner.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I usually cycle alone, but occasionally enjoy a spin with one of the local groups.

Like everyone else here I am mostly bothered by drivers who endanger my safety. I am also aware that groups of cyclists can be inconsiderate in lesser ways eg loud conversations in quiet villages, letting cars wait behind for several minutes when it would be easy to allow them past or close passing pedestrians.

What do you do if you feel a group of which you are part is inconsiderate?
Don't ride with the nobbers, Simples. :angel:

Slick

Guru
I would carry on concentrating on the drivers who endanger your safety and forget about mild irritations and just enjoy the ride. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom