Inconsiderate cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's a cheap shot to laugh at old people but while doing it, bear in mind that one day you will also be old and suffering the symptoms of age, with advancing nervous fragility, physical deterioration and probably depression and anxiety.
Some of us don't need to be that old to be nervous, physically deteriorating, depressed or anxious. However, I appreciate your point - someone might be alarmed if loud voices are heard right outside their window.

Which is why I only sing 80s pop music when I ride through villages at 3am. (true story)

tyred

Legendary Member
I re-tune to Classic FM when I ride through villages so as to keep everyone nicely relaxed.
ghetto_lowrider_by_realscarsneverfade.jpg

Whilst we are discussing inconsiderate cyclists I would like to propose a club quite local to me who ride three abreast down the cycle path through Chester and make no effort to get over when a solo cyclist (me) is coming in the opposite direction. Yet again today I had to slam the brakes on and take evasive action for fear of being wiped out by the marauding hordes of this club.

It comes as no surprise to me that some pedestrians on said cycle (shared) path have an issue with cyclists on the path. Just imagine a young mum pushing her pram with this lot bearing down on her showing no signs of moving over or slowing down.

I assumed (obviously incorrectly) it was the job of the ride leader to be attentive to situations and give hand signals accordingly not to be gassing with his mate and being totally oblivious to oncoming traffic.

Obviously it would be unprofessional of me to name this cycling club on here so I won't, suffice it to say though I won't be buying any more Unilever products.

vickster

Legendary Member
Whilst we are discussing inconsiderate cyclists I would like to propose a club quite local to me who ride three abreast down the cycle path through Chester and make no effort to get over when a solo cyclist (me) is coming in the opposite direction. Yet again today I had to slam the brakes on and take evasive action for fear of being wiped out by the marauding hordes of this club.

It comes as no surprise to me that some pedestrians on said cycle (shared) path have an issue with cyclists on the path. Just imagine a young mum pushing her pram with this lot bearing down on her showing no signs of moving over or slowing down.

I assumed (obviously incorrectly) it was the job of the ride leader to be attentive to situations and give hand signals accordingly not to be gassing with his mate and being totally oblivious to oncoming traffic.

Obviously it would be unprofessional of me to name this cycling club on here so I won't, suffice it to say though I won't be buying any more Unilever products.
Contact the club secretary and complain about their conduct? If they’re endangering you, in all likelihood they could well do so as you say to a pedestrian or a less aware cyclist if they haven’t already

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

It's the job of those up front and at the back to warn riders. They should single out on shared use paths with others coming.

Email the club secretary. Not good when they are barging fellow cyclists out of the way.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
They will be complaining about church bells and tractors next.
Perhaps they could start with the Sunday morning clay pigeon shooters disturbing the peace.

Groups of joggers can make quite a bit of noise, I know, I used to run with them on club nights but as I said in an earlier post, along with cyclists they are gone in a few seconds whilst running or cycling. It is only when they congregate it becomes a nuisance but is`nt that the same with school children after school congregating, shouting and messing about etc etc. Putting it into context, I can`t see that the majority of cyclists are a problem, just a small minority. I cycle on my own so I have no one to shout to, if I see a fellow cyclist I will put my hand up or politely say good day.

Milzy

Guru
I know somebody who rages at boy races even if they drive past without doing anything wrong.

snorri

Legendary Member
Like everyone else here I am mostly bothered by drivers who endanger my safety. I am also aware that groups of cyclists can be inconsiderate in lesser ways eg loud conversations in quiet villages, letting cars wait behind for several minutes when it would be easy to allow them past or close passing pedestrians.
What do you do if you feel a group of which you are part is inconsiderate?
I've only been on two group cycling outings, must be about thirty years ago, they were quite different.
One was almost like a mystery bus tour with the two senior leaders up front driving the bus to goodness knows where as they barely communicated with the passengers seated shoulder to shoulder in the closely spaced seats behind.
The other event had I believe some agreement regarding the destination for the day, but how we got there was subject of ongoing discussion, a communal effort. The group divided up into sub groups of two or three who allowed spaces to develop between each sub group making it very difficult for motor vehicle drivers to overtake safely on the rural road. Some of the younger members clearly bored with the whole thing took to cycling on the wrong side of the road with swerves back to the left as confused drivers of oncoming vehicles slowed to avoid a collision. As this event was taking place in my own local area I was fully expecting to get some justifiable flak from friends and acquaintances who had been driving on the same roads that day.
I decided to avoid group cycling after these two outings.

Top Bottom