Inconsistencies or plot holes in films

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

Would you get bends? Divers get bends when they come up from deep sea too quick. But the pressure in the deep sea is many times atmospheric pressure. The difference in pressure between space and atmospheric pressure is only one atmospheric pressure. In addition, bends comes from nitrogen forming bubbles in the blood IIRC. I don't suppose astronauts would breathe much nitrogen, just low pressure oxygen. Could be wrong of course.

I don't know, not my area. I was thinking the drop from 1 bar to zero is clearly a smaller differential than a diver coming up will experience but it's more sudden, i.e instant.

According to Google, astronauts just breathe air from tanks. I don't think human lungs work efficiently with low volumes of pure oxygen so have to have something inert mixed in. I understand divers have different mixes for deeper dives to reduce the nitrogen bubble risk but there's no such issue for astronauts as their suits keep atmospheric pressure.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I am not sure whether this was dealt with in the later films, because I gave up watching them. However, in the first Star Wars film Luke Skywalker is living on Tatooine with his aunt and uncle. Luke goes off to talk to Ben Kenobi. When he comes back the storm troopers have killed his uncle and aunt. Darth Vader was prowling around the scene. Now *Spoiler Alert* Darth Vader was Luke Skywalker's father, so Luke's uncle and aunt would either be Vader's brother, sister, brother-in-law or sister-in-law. Seems surprising he did not appear to recognise them.

I haven't seen episode 4 in a long time, but don't recall Vader wandering about the charred bodies of Luke's adoptive parents. In fact, no-one else was there apart from Luke, Ben & the two droids. Vader would still be on the Death Star. So is this really an inconsistency?.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Would you get bends? Divers get bends when they come up from deep sea too quick. But the pressure in the deep sea is many times atmospheric pressure. The difference in pressure between space and atmospheric pressure is only one atmospheric pressure. In addition, bends comes from nitrogen forming bubbles in the blood IIRC. I don't suppose astronauts would breathe much nitrogen, just low pressure oxygen. Could be wrong of course.

Along the right lines at least. eg U2 pilots would breath pure oxygen for some while before flying to get rid of all the dissolved nitrogen, in order to avoid the risk of the bends if exposed to the near vacuum conditions of a bail out or failed suit/canopy at great height.

Apollo astronauts breathed pure oxygen which contributed to the tragic Apollo 1 fire. Whilst in space they could reduce the pressure to 0.2 bar if only using oxygen. It also makes other things easier - if you've only got oxygen, then if you are breathing it's all good. Breathing air on a recycling basis is more complicated as the oxygen level can drop but you are still breathing OK, until you're not and pass out. of course they would have detectors and gauges but it's one less thing to worry about. I think the space station works with air though

winjim

Smash the cistern
I haven't seen episode 4 in a long time, but don't recall Vader wandering about the charred bodies of Luke's adoptive parents. In fact, no-one else was there apart from Luke, Ben & the two droids. Vader would still be on the Death Star. So is this really an inconsistency?.

Vader was on the Star Destroyer when it captured the rebel blockade runner and it was him that gave the order for a detachment of stormtroopers to land on Tatooine and retrieve the Death Star plans from the escape pod.

At no point while orbiting the planet did he do what you or I would have done in that situation which is point and shriek out excitedly 'ooh, I can see my old house from up here!'

The reason for this is that it's a retconned mess of a franchise.

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
Vader was on the Star Destroyer when it captured the rebel blockade runner and it was him that gave the order for a detachment of stormtroopers to land on Tatooine and retrieve the Death Star plans from the escape pod.

At no point while orbiting the planet did he do what you or I would have done in that situation which is point and scream out 'ooh, I can see my old house from up here!'

This reminds me a bit of the chat going on around Furiosa, and how the Mad Max timeline is all kinds of strange. But Miller always intended that with Max as an apocryphal character so it doesn't really matter, and it amuses me the lengths Star Wars fans will go to in order to makes sense of their beloved space soap opera.

winjim

Smash the cistern
This reminds me a bit of the chat going on around Furiosa, and how the Mad Max timeline is all kinds of strange. But Miller always intended that with Max as an apocryphal character so it doesn't really matter, and it amuses me the lengths Star Wars fans will go to in order to makes sense of their beloved space soap opera.

I absolutely love Star Wars, the original trilogy anyway, but it's a big dumb space fantasy that doesn't stand up to a moment's scrutiny.

Slight edit: I love Star Wars. The first film, original theatrical cut. It's perfect. ESB and ROTJ are alright but even then the retcon rot was setting in.

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
I absolutely love Star Wars, the original trilogy anyway, but it's a big dumb space fantasy that doesn't stand up to a moment's scrutiny.

Slight edit: I love Star Wars. The first film, original theatrical cut. It's perfect. ESB and ROTJ are alright but even then the retcon rot was setting in.

Yeah, I enjoy them too, pretty fair assessment on the OG ones. Of the recent stuff Solo's Story is probably my favourite.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Yeah, I enjoy them too, pretty fair assessment on the OG ones. Of the recent stuff Solo's Story is probably my favourite.

Haven't seen that one but I thought despite the slightly questionable MacGuffin, Rogue One really captured the spirit of the originals in a middle aged nostalgic fanboy sort of way. And it did it while avoiding the space wizardry, actually feeling like a proper war film and having The Best Ending which could have been rubbish but really worked. It was clearly made by a team who understood what makes Star Wars so great.

Wisecracking Vader was a bit of a misstep but I can let it go for shoots and giggles.

Last edited:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.

At no point while orbiting the planet did he do what you or I would have done in that situation which is point and shriek out excitedly 'ooh, I can see my old house from up here!'

I saw the original 6 times when it came out in the 70's. Vader was indeed on the ship, but didn't set foot on Tatooine so he wouldn't be able to physically recognise Luke's adoptive parents. In fact Luke was separated from his sister and spirted away to Tatooine to hide him from Vader. So although Vader ordered the death of anyone who came into contact with the droids, he was motivated by recovering the DS plans. He wouldn't necessarily know they were Luke's adoptive parents, they'd just be ordinary people to him. If he knew beforehand who they were, he'd have killed Luke much earlier.

I like the original cut simply because it was Solo who shoots Greedo first in a James Bond-esque way and it actually got a laugh in the cinema. Lucas later retconned it to make Solo look more a hero & less a cold blooded space pirate.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I saw the original 6 times when it came out in the 70's. Vader was indeed on the ship, but didn't set foot on Tatooine so he wouldn't be able to physically recognise Luke's adoptive parents. In fact Luke was separated from his sister and spirted away to Tatooine to hide him from Vader. So although Vader ordered the death of anyone who came into contact with the droids, he was motivated by recovering the DS plans. He wouldn't necessarily know they were Luke's adoptive parents, they'd just be ordinary people to him. If he knew beforehand who they were, he'd have killed Luke much earlier.

I like the original cut simply because it was Solo who shoots Greedo first in a James Bond-esque way and it actually got a laugh in the cinema. Lucas later retconned it to make Solo look more a hero & less a cold blooded space pirate.

It's a hugely significant planet for Vader in terms of his family and his relationship with The Force. It's not just a random place. He should have known something was up.

winjim

Smash the cistern
If we are really going to go down this route, the guy who decided not to shoot down the escape pod with the droids in made a huge mistake.
That's a matter for discussion within the original plot of the film though. The Vader / Tatooine issue is one created by the overzealous retconning.

Top Bottom