Inconsistencies or plot holes in films

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
That's a matter for discussion within the original plot of the film though. The Vader / Tatooine issue is one created by the overzealous retconning.

I haven't seen any SW beyond the awful episode 4 rehash 'The Force Awakens' so I'm unfamiliar with any 'retconning' which would be altering established events and the timeline. In fact, IMHO, they should have just ended it after ROTJ. The six movies show the rise & fall of an evil empire, so once its gone, what other stories can you tell?...the rise of another empire?....done that!. The only viable movies/TV shows you can do are things like Rogue One, Solo etc which can be squeezed into trilogy gaps. They shouldn't really have added a third trilogy, that was done methinks, just for $$$$.

Last edited:

captain nemo1701

Also, parsecs are not a unit of time but of distance.

Yaay!...I picked up on that terrible line back in 1978!. If the shortest distance from, say Bristol to London, is 120 miles, saying something similar would be ' I did the Bristol to London run in less that 120 miles'. You couldn't alter the distance as its already the shortest, but you could drive faster so you'd save time not distance. I've always wondered if Lucas has ever regretted that one?. I have read over the years that although he's quite imaginative in creating the SW universe, his dialogue is apparently awful according to some cast members.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
In Goldfinger (I think) James Bond is presented with his highly modified Aston Martin DB5. One of its features are revolving number plates of different nationalities, presumably to give the slip to pursuers and the police. OTOH he drives a right hand drive Aston Martin DB5. Wouldn't revolving number plates make more sense on maybe a top end Peugeot or VW or Fiat?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Yaay!...I picked up on that terrible line back in 1978!. If the shortest distance from, say Bristol to London, is 120 miles, saying something similar would be ' I did the Bristol to London run in less that 120 miles'. You couldn't alter the distance as its already the shortest, but you could drive faster so you'd save time not distance. I've always wondered if Lucas has ever regretted that one?. I have read over the years that although he's quite imaginative in creating the SW universe, his dialogue is apparently awful according to some cast members.

That's explained by hyperspace travel being a navigational skill. It's all about who can plot the shortest course.

I haven't seen any SW beyond the awful episode 4 rehash 'The Force Awakens' so I'm unfamiliar with any 'retconning' which would be altering established events and the timeline. In fact, IMHO, they should have just ended it after ROTJ. The six movies show the rise & fall of an evil empire, so once its gone, what other stories can you tell?...the rise of another empire?....done that!. The only viable movies/TV shows you can do are things like Rogue One, Solo etc which can be squeezed into trilogy gaps. They shouldn't really have added a third trilogy, that was done methinks, just for $$$$.

The Vader / Tatooine retcon is in the prequel trilogy.

Vader being Luke's father in ESB is a retcon.

Luke and Leia as siblings in ROTJ is a retcon.

The whole Star Wars universe, everything past the original film is an exercise in retconning.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
In the film Zardoz, Sean Connery plays a killer. Society has broken down for the masses. An elite lives forever in a protected community. From time to time a floating head lands some place and spews out rifles for the killers to do their job of culling mankind. One of the things the Zardoz head chants is that guns are good and the penis is bad. Later in the film, the Sean Connery character is having his memories played out in front of the elites. He is chasing down some young females. The elite women look uncomfortable but a bit excited. Sean Connery says he took a woman in the name of Zardoz. How is this consistent with the idea of the penis being bad and the necessity of keeping the population down? Doesn't make any sense to me.

captain nemo1701

That's explained by hyperspace travel being a navigational skill. It's all about who can plot the shortest course.

The Vader / Tatooine retcon is in the prequel trilogy.

Vader being Luke's father in ESB is a retcon.

Luke and Leia as siblings in ROTJ is a retcon.

The whole Star Wars universe, everything past the original film is an exercise in retconning.

Retconning:

revise (an aspect of a fictional work) retrospectively, typically by introducing a piece of new information that imposes a different interpretation on previously described events.

So with retconning, you are altering information mainly about the past elements of a story which are already established.

Beyond episode 4??... future movies that carry on the story can't be retconning since you are adding to the narrative with new information, not altering that which is already established.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Retconning:

revise (an aspect of a fictional work) retrospectively, typically by introducing a piece of new information that imposes a different interpretation on previously described events.

So with retconning, you are altering information mainly about the past elements of a story which are already established.

Beyond episode 4??... future movies that carry on the story can't be retconning since you are adding to the narrative with new information, not altering that which is already established.

The reason Vader didn't mention that Tatooine was his home planet was because it wasn't.

The reason OB1 didn't tell Luke that Vader was his father is because he wasn't.

The reason that Luke and Leia could kiss is because they were not siblings.

That's not fleshing out the narrative, that's changing key aspects of the characters as they were understood and written by the creators.

Top Bottom