Incorrect use of phrases, that annoy me and probably shouldn't

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

Since when was the floor outside?

He fell on the floor!....... No, he was outside, so he fell on the pavement, he fell on the grass, he fell on the road.

I blame football players.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
There's an announcement on the train that tells you what to do in an emergency. It concludes by saying, "Please take a moment to read this important information." Presumably, that is 'important' in the sense of 'unimportant'.

Similarly, I was irritated when I heard some businessman on the radio talk about sales skills being not merely soft skills, but hard, tangible skills. Presumably this is 'tangible' in the sense of 'intangible', since a skill cannot be touched or felt, whether hard or soft.

Brains

Legendary Member
There's an announcement on the train that tells you what to do in an emergency. It concludes by saying, "Please take a moment to read this important information." Presumably, that is 'important' in the sense of 'unimportant'.

Similarly, I was irritated when I heard some businessman on the radio talk about sales skills being not merely soft skills, but hard, tangible skills. Presumably this is 'tangible' in the sense of 'intangible', since a skill cannot be touched or felt, whether hard or soft.

I would take a 'soft' skill as being able to play a piano or write software or paint something or make someone better, they may have acomplished somthing, but you cant actually put your finger on it.

A 'hard' skill would be being a brickie who can lay 1,000 bricks a day. Or someone on a production line, or a deck hand on a trawler.
At the end of a day of work you can see exactly what has been acomplished and you can touch it.

Diggs

Veteran
Words rather than phrases but I had two resonably senior people sitting near me at a job a while ago.
One used "pacifically" instead of specifically, the other referred to hyperbole as "hyper- bowl"

edit, on reflection that probably should upset me

As does this, after finally adjusting to people posting ads for "mounting bikes" I find an ad for a bike that doesn't even exist.
http://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/saracen-amplitude-2-bicycle-jump-bike/1096140286

Last edited:

Dan B

Disengaged member
"Beg the question" when "give rise to the question" is meant
"Ultimate"when anything other than "final" is meant

Can I get. As in " Can I get a cup of tea" in a cafe. It should be "can I have" or "can I purchase" Can I get implies that they are going to serve themselves.
Can? Can???

I can still hear the censorious voice of my friend's grandfather saying over the phone "Is that any way for a young lady to ask for another young lady? It's 'May I speak with Simone, please?'"

Top Bottom