Incorrect use of phrases, that annoy me and probably shouldn't

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When people, often Americans, refer to something as being "fairly unique" or "very unique".

Unique is an absolute, there is only one in existence, end of story. And rant, for that matter.

Sandra6

Veteran
My bil uses pacifically when he means specifically, he also used to claim to be possessed with my friend but I'm fairly certain he meant obsessed.
The lend/ borrow thing annoys as does misuse of teach and learn. You cannot learn someone how to do something.
People who overuse or incorrectly use words like basically and literally wind me up too.
Basically I was literally just talking to her, basically about literally everything. :thumbsdown:

Cyclist33

I would take a 'soft' skill as being able to play a piano or write software or paint something or make someone better, they may have acomplished somthing, but you cant actually put your finger on it.

A 'hard' skill would be being a brickie who can lay 1,000 bricks a day. Or someone on a production line, or a deck hand on a trawler.
At the end of a day of work you can see exactly what has been acomplished and you can touch it.

You'd be wrong, then.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
I once spent the best part of an (alcohol assisted ) evening trying to get a friend to understand the double negatives he uses!

stephec

Legendary Member
When people, often Americans, refer to something as being "fairly unique" or "very unique".

Unique is an absolute, there is only one in existence, end of story. And rant, for that matter.

It's very rare that I hear that phrase. :biggrin:

Leaway2

Lycrist
Working in an airport, I hear this all the time, "departure is delayed due to the late arrival of the inbound aircraft".
So it is late because it is late!

My biggest hate at the moment though is "can I get a......" when they mean, "please may I have a......"

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
People who don't know when to use 'me' or 'I'.
Winds me up when they think it sounds posh to say something like - "This Bentley belongs to my
wife and I".
No it doesn't!
It belongs to " My wife and ME"
It can't belong to 'I'.
It belongs to 'me'.

Last edited:
Top Bottom