Incorrect use of phrases, that annoy me and probably shouldn't

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Great thread.
The overuse of the word heroic and hero, frequently used to describe the actions of a sports person. A hero to me describes the action of someone who risks their own life to save others.

"How are you"
"I'm good"
Grrrr, not what I asked.

While I'm thinking about it, please pronounce "schedule" with a soft "c" not a hard one as used in the USA, even the BBC are sometimes guilty of this.

Finally, when traffic reporters on the radio describe an accident as "now been moved", how the hell do you "move" an accident?

And there's 'like' used to mean 'such as'.
e.g. '...hospitals like Addenbrokes...': so, it's not Addenbrokes itself, but it's an hospital quite similar to Addenbrokes, perhaps in a similar place too, but definitely not Addenbrokes itself.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Amongst others. ;)

That little secret cubby hole in the door is my wife and Me's favorite thing with the ole B
lol See what I did there...

i love all accents and all the various spellings we see ,I can make spell check Broke so eezy its fritning

Profpointy

Legendary Member
someone's already covered "begging the question", which means something quite different from what's usually meant by it, and also the American use of "momentarily",

I hate misuse of "reaching a crescendo" - as any fewl kno, a crescendo is an extended period of steadily getting louder, not the loud bit which would be the end of the crescendo. Reaching a crescendo would be the point when you (gradually) start to get louder.

And another one - a quantum leap in (say) performance. So that would be a very very tiny improvement - say some small multiple of Planck's constant; Planck's constant being an extremely small quantity indeed

Last edited:
Top Bottom