Increased police presence.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
So I saw an officer at some lights tonight, so asked him if he thought my front light was too bright, first thing he said was "at least you have one". Okay I thought. He said the light was fine. Tried to give me a leaflet, I kindly declined, I was in primary at the front of traffic and I know the lights will be changing, so don't want to be fiddling with bits of paper...

I had seen no other cyclists that night up to that point, but when I do they all normally have lights, well at least the times I ride the CS3. Some a bit too bright or angled too far up, or some when they come from behind make you wonder if they are a car, but they have them.

Is the no lights thing a rush hour problem mainly? I cycle 1800 to 2000 and very very rarely see a bike without lights. I see more cars with dodgy lights than bikes... Am I blessed on the CS2\CS3 at those times with sensible more experienced commuters I wonder?

At least there was no mention of Hi Viz or Helmets.:tongue:

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't dazzling people, it looked OK to me, but another perspective helps.

Rouge79

Police instructed to target and fine cyclists!!!!!

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article3933789.ece

MichaelO

Veteran
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article3933789.ece[/quote That's not quite true..
"Chief Superintendent Glyn Jones, head of the Met’s Traffic Command, confirmed that he had reviewed performance targets after the cyclist fatalities and set a target of 40 tickets per officer for jumping traffic lights, careless or inconsiderate cycling, stopping in safe zones for cyclists at traffic lights or on cycle superhighways."

So it could be 40 tickets for cars stopping in ASLs or CS's

Nonetheless, I hate seeing these targets set by the police

Frood42

I know where my towel is
That's not quite true..
"Chief Superintendent Glyn Jones, head of the Met’s Traffic Command, confirmed that he had reviewed performance targets after the cyclist fatalities and set a target of 40 tickets per officer for jumping traffic lights, careless or inconsiderate cycling, stopping in safe zones for cyclists at traffic lights or on cycle superhighways."

So it could be 40 tickets for cars stopping in ASLs or CS's

Nonetheless, I hate seeing these targets set by the police

No, it was true, a senior officer did instruct this, even if they were misinterperting what had come down the chain, it still happened.
“All, can you please cascade this onto your troops,” the e-mail from Inspector Colin Davies of the Metropolitan Police’s South East Area Traffic Garage, began. “Officers have four months to do 40 cycle tickets. Ten per month, 2.5 a week. Most officers are nearing or have even achieved their other targets. This will give them a renewed focus for a while.”

Thankfully this miscommunication was found and corrected.
Chief Superintendent Glyn Jones, head of the Met’s Traffic Command, confirmed that he had reviewed performance targets after the cyclist fatalities and set a target of 40 tickets per officer for jumping traffic lights, careless or inconsiderate cycling, stopping in safe zones for cyclists at traffic lights or on cycle superhighways.

“The e-mail from the inspector was a genuine misinterpretation of my direction. The offences that relate to the cycle highway and advanced stop lines can actually only be committed by motorists; and contravening traffic lights is dangerous regardless of who commits it,” he said.

Call me pedantic. :tongue:

However I do agree about setting targets, sends the wrong message.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Liked for:

I'm not a fan of the if you ain't doing anything wrong line though.
Now that would need a seperate thread :whistle:

I'm kind of inclined to agree with you, especially when the Govt. uses it when arguing for increased surveillance, ID cards and all that extra big brother rubbish. With regards to this topic, I think they should ticket anyone doing anything that's illegal and not one group.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
With regards to this topic, I think they should ticket anyone doing anything that's illegal and not one group.

:thumbsup:

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I'm kind of inclined to agree with you, especially when the Govt. uses it when arguing for increased surveillance, ID cards and all that extra big brother rubbish. With regards to this topic, I think they should ticket anyone doing anything that's illegal and not one group.

Did you hear about the Nice Way Code shutting down?
It was abandoned in the end.

In Edinburgh they decided to change tactics:
A “softly, softly” approach in Edinburgh has been replaced by a tough crackdown which includes £100 fines and three penalty points on offenders’ licences, and stopping cyclists who ride on pavements.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/scotland/article3928390.ece

http://road.cc/content/news/94378-n...ambasted-self-congratulatory-farewell-message
http://beyondthekerb.wordpress.com/2013/08/10/the-back-end-of-a-bus/

Frood42

I know where my towel is
2793427 said:
If you were to downgrade that to warn first then ticket for repeat offences by relatively harmless groups, that's us, I would be in full agreement.

The message should be that they are going after everyone, which is what I read in Davidsw8 posting.

I am somewhat skeptical as to if warnings work. Some people do really need a short sharp shock, and a pain in the wallet sadly these days seems to have more effect...

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

2793427 said:
If you were to downgrade that to warn first then ticket for repeat offences by relatively harmless groups, that's us, I would be in full agreement.

I don't think people take the blindest bit of notice about warnings, waste of time and effort all round. Also, can a PC tell whether a cyclist had been warned previously?

Do something wrong, get a fine etc. straight off. It's time for zero tolerance.

Wobblers

Euthermic
[QUOTE 2791457, member: 1314"]Any copper tries to talk to me, I ain’t responding. I’ll pretend I can’t speak English.

“New here.Yes. Yes.” I’ll just smile and nod. And if they try and take me in...
View attachment 33211 [/quote]

Sorry User, I won't be posting bail for you...

Wobblers

Euthermic
It may matter because the clothing can give you a distinctive silhouette in the eye of the driver, as opposed to being a collection of lights among many.

The reflective material on your bike must help, although I wonder how much is visible from the front, ie, when the driver is pulling out of a side junction in front of you.

The thing about hi-viz clothing under streetlights is that it appears a sort of dirty orange. The thing about the road surface under streetlights is that it appears a sort of dirty orange. Something orange coloured against an orange background is rather hard to see. I spot hi-viz cyclists at night by the shadows they cast. Those who wear black ironically enough are easier to see by the contrast between dark clothing and orange background.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I saw two cyclists stopped this morning just south of Tower Bridge. I can only guess their offence, but it was probably jumping the lights, or turning right at a no right turn junction.

Top Bottom