increasing my Manchester commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tharg2007

Veteran
Decided this morning to try a new route to work to make my ride longer.

Present route takes me from Urmston down to Chester road for a short time then onto Talbot road then straight down through Hulme and past the RNCM across Oxford road, southwards down Upper Brook Street then Left towards Ardwick green. Total about 7.4 miles.

New Route took me over Chester road and down Wilbraham road into Fallowfield turning left onto Wilmslow road, then down to the University and across to Ardwick from there. Total about 9.4 miles

Next plan will be to take it through Chorlton and into Didsbury before heading up towards town, total would be 10.1 or 10.6 depending on where I turn in Didsbury.

Im looking to get 20 miles in a day if possible without it impacting on the time it takes me to get to work/home too much.

Will update soon with maps and routes as well as some pics.

jimboalee

Don't tell everyone where you ride.

There will be a lout waiting with a big stick to relieve you of your bike.

Delete the posting QUICK.

OP
OP
Tharg2007

Tharg2007

Veteran
jimboalee said:
Don't tell everyone where you ride.

There will be a lout waiting with a big stick to relieve you of your bike.

Delete the posting QUICK.

Ill spot him first, anyway, traffic is more of a worry than a mugger.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Didn't realise you actually went from Urmston (as I do) as I have only bumped into you (not literally, I rarely drive the car ;)) on the Chester/Talbot Road part of your commute.

Clearly you're now trying to avoid me by taking a longer route.... sensible thinking. ;):wacko:;):wacko:;)

OP
OP
Tharg2007

Tharg2007

Veteran
Sh4rkyBloke said:
Didn't realise you actually went from Urmston (as I do) as I have only bumped into you (not literally, I rarely drive the car :o) on the Chester/Talbot Road part of your commute.

Clearly you're now trying to avoid me by taking a longer route.... sensible thinking. :smile::sad::biggrin::biggrin:;)

do you have a tandem?
Fancy getting one and bombing it in up to the RNCM?

Depends what time you finish work though i guess

OP
OP
Tharg2007

Tharg2007

Veteran
cheadle hulme said:
or pick up the Fallowfield loop in Chorlton (or nr Wilbraham Rd) and follow it to the A6 or right to the end and take the A57.
i fancy trying that out actually.

@sharky, thats the second time you have mentioned picking out wallpaper, its either your favorite saying or you secretly want to :wacko:
Anyway, if I can get hold of a tandem would you give it a go?

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Tharg2007 said:
i fancy trying that out actually.

@sharky, thats the second time you have mentioned picking out wallpaper, its either your favorite saying or you secretly want to :smile:
Anyway, if I can get hold of a tandem would you give it a go?
It's an Aladdin quote made by the Genie when he rescues Aladdin from being drowned, it just amused me when I first saw it and stuck in my head. :biggrin::biggrin:

I thought you were joking about the tandem!! I tried one recently (very briefly) when the Chorlton Green Festival was on... it was a bizarre (and not entirely enjoyable) experience not being in control but still helping to propel it (as opposed to being simply a pillion passenger on a motorbike for instance).

Not sure I'd want to be on the road on one (either controlling or at the back) - hats off to those who do though!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Might have my chance to check out the Bob Jackson or Ribbles then....coming to Didsbury is my hunting grounds.

If coming out that way - go into town via Parrs Wood Road

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Wherabouts in Urmston do you actually start from then?

I'm just off the Nag's Head Circle and head down to the Lostock Circle, down to Seven Ways roundabout and then up to Chester Road via Davyhulme Road East... where I (very rarely) see you.

I'm up for extending the route though if you want to meet up at a set time to start off (need to get the kids sorted for Nursery/School first though before I abandon my Wife to take them!).

OP
OP
Tharg2007

Tharg2007

Veteran
fossyant said:
Might have my chance to check out the Bob Jackson or Ribbles then....coming to Didsbury is my hunting grounds.

haha not that far, would probably go down barlowmoor road then turn right down palletine road to town or down wilmslow road further down.

OP
OP
Tharg2007

Tharg2007

Veteran
Sh4rkyBloke said:
Wherabouts in Urmston do you actually start from then?

I'm just off the Nag's Head Circle and head down to the Lostock Circle, down to Seven Ways roundabout and then up to Chester Road via Davyhulme Road East... where I (very rarely) see you.

I'm up for extending the route though if you want to meet up at a set time to start off (need to get the kids sorted for Nursery/School first though before I abandon my Wife to take them!).

im on westmorland road, go straight down urmston lane to stretford precinct then onto chester road there.

I usually set off at about 8am or just after, with the current route i get in for about 8:30, with my detour it took me to 8:45. Cant really leave house any earlier as kids need sorting there too. Also a couple of days a week I dont set off until 8:15 as I drop lad off at child minders with the car first then head back to pick bike up :biggrin:

therams

fossyant said:

You will see me on Parrs Wood road every morning and evening. Its a good run for south Manchester, not too many lights and wide enough so cars don't really bother you. Never gets too busy either (not when I am there anyway)

I normally do the whole road on my way home, then loop back through Didsbury village.

Top Bottom