Increasing performance-strangely worried

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Hi guys
I'm freaking out. So I've been pedalling around slowly averaging 15-16 mph for 5 weeks as you all know. In that time I've done 2 hill climb days scaling only 2000ft average. Not much. No speed work at all.

I completed a 200miler @18+mph and attempted TODAY a 100miler in 5 hour challenge but got smashed in eye by burning bug and expended a water bottle to flush it out and couldnt stop for water (rules) so abandoned @ that 32mile mark after 20.2 average totally easy. 100 would have been no problem) and went bought some north wave sunnies.

An hour later I ride to meet ride buddy and average 19mph there, 20mile distance and scale a 1 mile 4th CAT climb 2mph faster then my best dig 2 weeks ago. It felt stupid easy, and I was spinning 3 cogs heavier and only at threshold (perceived) 13th kom from over 300!! Took near a minute off my best time and was working so much less! I could have easily dug another gear down.

Screenshot_2014-05-20-21-06-52.png

Went onto a 0.3 mile dig peak at 9% and went up in 53-16!! 10th kom out of 500!!
Screenshot_2014-05-20-21-26-19.png

I know beginners improve a bit fast at beggining but I'm only behind pros and serious riders up these hills now with asimple threshold ride

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Freaking out or bragging ;) Time to turn pro I think is what you are trying to tell everyone...get back to that high level that you scaled as a junior ;) Or your namesake did ;)

OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

Freaking out or bragging ;) Time to turn pro I think is what you are trying to tell everyone...get back to that high level that you scaled as a junior ;) Or your namesake did ;)

No I'm worried. ive had some reassuring words on strava but would particularly like a broad opinion. Mr hamaetocrit?? Increases don't come like this

MikeG

Guru
Hi guys
I'm freaking out.
No, you're blowing your own trumpet, very loudly.......again.

scale a 1 mile 4th CAT climb 2mph faster then my best dig 2 weeks ago. It felt stupid easy, and I was spinning 3 cogs heavier and only at threshold (perceived) 13th kom from over 300!! Took near a minute off my best time and was working so much less!

Is that the hill from the graphic? Because if so, it says "this effort 6.44", and "my best effort 5.46", which looks to me like you did it a minute slower than your best, not faster.

OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

No, you're blowing your own trumpet, very loudly.......again.

Is that the hill from the graphic? Because if so, it says "this effort 6.44", and "my best effort 5.46", which looks to me like you did it a minute slower than your best, not faster.
Yes thats a screen shot of my last climb up. To show improvement. Here's the new one today.

Screenshot_2014-05-20-21-36-21.png
Screenshot_2014-05-20-21-36-45.png

Hi guys
I'm freaking out. So I've been pedalling around slowly averaging 15-16 mph for 5 weeks as you all know. In that time I've done 2 hill climb days scaling only 2000ft average. Not much. No speed work at all.

I completed a 200miler @18+mph and attempted TODAY a 100miler in 5 hour challenge but got smashed in eye by burning bug and expended a water bottle to flush it out and couldnt stop for water (rules) so abandoned @ that 32mile mark after 20.2 average totally easy. 100 would have been no problem) and went bought some north wave sunnies.

An hour later I ride to meet ride buddy and average 19mph there, 20mile distance and scale a 1 mile 4th CAT climb 2mph faster then my best dig 2 weeks ago. It felt stupid easy, and I was spinning 3 cogs heavier and only at threshold (perceived) 13th kom from over 300!! Took near a minute off my best time and was working so much less! I could have easily dug another gear down.

View attachment 45683

Went onto a 0.3 mile dig peak at 9% and went up in 53-16!! 10th kom out of 500!!
View attachment 45684

I know beginners improve a bit fast at beggining but I'm only behind pros and serious riders up these hills now with asimple threshold ride
I imagine I am not alone in thinking that none of us is qualified to offer an incredible athlete like yourself advice. I have been coaching for about 10 years now and before that competed internationally, but in all that time I never came across talent such as yours. I can put you in touch with people at the top of this fine sport of ours should you wish, which of course you must do, just give me the nod.
May I ask how old you are and how long you have been riding?

OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

Screenshot_2014-05-20-21-44-34.png
Screenshot_2014-05-20-21-45-27.png

Here's speed graphs. Speedo on bike reflected same.

previous best

todays ride up. 2mph faster in a few weeks of base is unheard of.

Changes to bike, ultremo zx tires. Lost 3kilos in 5 weeks. 10.5 stone currently.

vickster

Legendary Member
You should take totallyfixed up on his kind offer...or get a job ;)

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Hi guys

View attachment 45683

View attachment 45684

What pros and serious riders???

And thats a pimple not a climb :smile:

OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

Well not pros per say. But extremely extremely fast guys. You all know how fast the top boys are in a 300 odd man Cat4 segment.
Totally fixed, I'm 25 (thoroughly unlikable by most on here) and been riding 5 weeks. I did ride as a junior at a national level (or rather placed 4th at national RR champs) but that was over 8 years ago when I last touched a bike

Top Bottom