Increasing performance-strangely worried

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Can you all stop talking French please , its not right :thumbsdown:

OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
[QUOTE 3092272, member: 30090"]Kill Devil Hill is an average of 2.7% but you are saying 9% in yoTh

As a base it has to be at least 3.57689% grade before I change down from 54 - 14.[/QUOTE]
Yes segment includes 0.2 mile of slight decline: ramps up to 9%. Average gradient works out to 2% indeed. Theres always more to the story. Especially segments.

OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

Screenshot_2014-05-20-23-38-51.png

OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

I'd start to worry if I couldn't get up a hill rather than go too fast up them!

Ill take that. This thread can be locked if wished. Am rather chuffed with improvement obviously. But cautious as I have said, this is happening VERY fast with no specific training yet and a very limited slow base period. And I have smoked 20 a day for near 7 years and still do.

zizou

Veteran
Totally fixed, I'm 25 (thoroughly unlikable by most on here) and been riding 5 weeks. I did ride as a junior at a national level (or rather placed 4th at national RR champs) but that was over 8 years ago when I last touched a bike

Junior results are interesting because for some it is a good sign of great potential - in the UK at least there are lots of familiar names in the top 5 - Stannard, Martin, Cavendish, Dowsett etc. But in some cases these famous names were overshadowed by other juniors who beat them yet who didnt go to have a successful pro career. Its also great that results from the tour de france down to the lowliest local time trial are all stored online for years and years after the event too should you ever want to browse them again!

MikeG

Guru
Hi guys
I'm freaking out. So I've been pedalling around slowly averaging 15-16 mph for 5 weeks as you all know. In that time I've done 2 hill climb days scaling only 2000ft average. Not much. No speed work at all.

I completed a 200miler @18+mph and attempted TODAY a 100miler in 5 hour challenge but got smashed in eye by burning bug and expended a water bottle to flush it out and couldnt stop for water (rules) so abandoned @ that 32mile mark after 20.2 average totally easy. 100 would have been no problem) and went bought some north wave sunnies.

An hour later I ride to meet ride buddy and average 19mph there, 20mile distance and scale a 1 mile 4th CAT climb 2mph faster then my best dig 2 weeks ago. It felt stupid easy, and I was spinning 3 cogs heavier and only at threshold (perceived) 13th kom from over 300!! Took near a minute off my best time and was working so much less! I could have easily dug another gear down.

Went onto a 0.3 mile dig peak at 9% and went up in 53-16!! 10th kom out of 500!!

I know beginners improve a bit fast at beggining but I'm only behind pros and serious riders up these hills now with asimple threshold ride

No I'm worried. ive had some reassuring words on strava but would particularly like a broad opinion. Mr hamaetocrit?? Increases don't come like this

Hi guys.

I'm freaking out. So I've been designing houses for 18 years now, as you all know. In that time I have done nothing more than energy efficient vernacular properties and experimented with a couple of underground houses. Nothing much. No specific porch work whatsoever.

I completed some plans, sections and elevations last week, and today attempted an orthogonal sketch for a client, but my pencil broke, so abandoned that at the setting out stage, and went out and bought some more leads. An hour later, I went out to meet a client, and actually drew him a free-hand porch, 3D, perspective!!!! The vanishing points were off the page! The sprockets and exposed feet showed up beautifully, and I smashed the oak framing! It felt stupid easy, and I captured the 47.5 degree pitch and the hand-made clay plain tiles, and I was working so much less! I could easily have shown the mortise and tenon draw-bore pegs!!!

I went on to draw the 4 centred arch door head, and even put some handmade nails on the 3 boarded door!!!!! No, really!! And I didn't even use the rubber!!!

I know architects improve fast at the beginning, but I'm only behind Gaudi and Lutyens on these porches now, with simple threshold sketches. I'm worried. No, really I am. I shouldn't be this good. I've had some reassuring words in the Architects Journal, and a couple of Stirling Prize nominations, but I'd really like some broad opinion. Mr Archie-Tect??? Improvements don't come like this.

Last edited:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Hi guys.

I'm freaking out. So I've been designing houses for 18 years now, as you all know. In that time I have done nothing more than energy efficient vernacular properties and experimented with a couple of underground houses. Nothing much. No specific porch work whatsoever.

I completed some plans, sections and elevations last week, and today attempted an orthogonal sketch for a client, but my pencil broke, so abandoned that at the setting out stage, and went out and bought some more leads. An hour later, I went out to meet a client, and actually drew him a free-hand porch, 3D, perspective!!!! The vanishing points were off the page! The sprockets and exposed feet showed up beautifully, and I smashed the oak framing! It felt stupid easy, and I captured the 47.5 degree pitch and the hand-made clay plain tiles, and I was working so much less! I could easily have shown the draw bore pegs!!!

I went on to draw the 4 centred arch door head, and even put some handmade nails on the 3 boarded door!!!!! No, really!! And I didn't even use the rubber!!!

I know architects improve fast at the beginning, but I'm only behind Gaudi and Lutyens on these porches now, with simple threshold sketches. I'm worried. No, really I am. I shouldn't be this good. I've had some reassuring words in the Architects Journal, and a couple of Stirling Prize nominations, but I'd really like some broad opinion. Mr Archie-Tect??? Improvements don't come like this.

Well done ! You'll be using felt tips soon :thumbsup:

vickster

Legendary Member
And I have smoked 20 a day for near 7 years and still do.

Skin cancer, lung cancer, bowel cancer, throat cancer, heart disease, COPD, ED...you have a lovely future ahead of you :ohmy:

But imagine how astonishingly fantastic and freaked out you would be if you quit the death sticks (and you'd save about £200 a month)

Last edited:

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Must say, I rather like you Jason! :smooch:And why did you change yer avatar of that attractive young lady? Not because someone commented on it, I hope. Stick to your guns, that's what I say. :hungry:

Just enlarged my post. Thought the little fella was packing a pair of pistols, turns out he's holding a knife and fork! SpecSavers anyone!

Last edited:
Top Bottom