Indecision: Why Road over Hybrid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I discovered cycling again, four years ago, and at a great age. I bought a lightweight skinny hybrid Dawes 501. Great for road rides, commuting, cycle paths and really short credit card tours. A year ago last February, I bought a road bike. It took me a long, long time to get used to drops but.......I have never been on the hybrid since the day I bought it. Currently I'm doing up the hybrid for my teenage daughter.

(Still rubbish at this cycling thing, but enjoying it more and more)

OP
OP
A

aces_up1504

cheers for the continued imput in this thread.

I weighed up the pro and cons of each type of bike and what i wanted to get out of cycling. While browsing the forum i found a thread on the Chesire Cat 2013 and thought that is something i would like to do and the type of riding i want to be able to accomplish.

So £500 it is on a road bike and another £100 on the bits of bobs.

So anyone care to tell what to spend it on?

MarkF

Guru
Got both, I couldn't do with just one. But if I was forced to choose only one, it'd be the hybrid. Depends on what the OP intends to use his bike for, most of the time.

Hybrid, I use this for leisure, touring, commuting and shopping. With a Blackburn touring rack it is very useful indeed. On a day ride it gives me the option of leaving the roads and putting the M+ 35mm to use on trails and towpaths. I use my road bike purely for fun, therefore it has 23mm tyres and not enough gears to do what the hybrid does.

Longshot

cheers for the continued imput in this thread.

I weighed up the pro and cons of each type of bike and what i wanted to get out of cycling. While browsing the forum i found a thread on the Chesire Cat 2013 and thought that is something i would like to do and the type of riding i want to be able to accomplish.

So £500 it is on a road bike and another £100 on the bits of bobs.

So anyone care to tell what to spend it on?

Neil - as you know I'm a recent returnee to cycling. Because of that and unlike the other hobby we share, I have built up little to no brand loyalty (or disloyalty) to date on bikes. Since I started to look round at bikes, reading up on here and talking to other cyclists, I have to say that the Giant Defy range is one that always gets a great write-up, especially as a start-up bike. If you were to get the triple you'd have the wider range of gearing too.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2013.giant.defy.4.triple/11833/57501/

It's priced at £625 by Giant themselves but I would expect you should be able to find a 'last year's model' or discounted one somewhere.

OP
OP
A

aces_up1504

Cheers Si, for brand loyality i would need to know about the brands. If it had not been for you mentioning your bike on another forum i would had never heard of specialized before.

OP
OP
A

aces_up1504

Probably mine as it needs to bought using the cycle to work scheme from halfords or a shop will uses the scheme :laugh:

Top Bottom