Indexing question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
How did you get on @steveindenmark ? I'm still riding round with dodgy gears.....

Wish I had an indoor workshop....

raleighnut

Legendary Member
So I might be able to get away without re-wrapping the bars?
Impossible to tell from here, that portion of outer is notorious for causing slow/sticky up-changes though due to it's position and more where the openings are allowing the inner to drag grit/water in. Couple that with the sharp radius of the bend,

Once you have the new inner through the top bits you can test it manually by just pulling on the inner and operating the shifter through it's range.

Don't forget to return the shifter to top before trying to connect the cable to the rear mech

straas

Matt
Haha!

I've purchased the inner and a small section of outer for the last bit, for the pricely sum of £4! Hoping this sorts the issue.

Though the man at the shop seemed a bit confused that I couldn't get the highest or lowest gears.

@straas do you live anywhere near wigan

straas

Matt
Ah, cheers - thought you were going to say you'd seen someone struggling around in the wrong gear!

Mercifully S manc is flat so 7 gears are no trouble at the moment.

straas

Matt
A bit of reading suggests this is a fairly common issue with Shimano shifters, something to do with the bending radius in the shifter itself causing fatigue in the wire.

Top Bottom