Indexing Your Gears Is a Compromise Rather Than An Absolute.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
After having spent the last year getting to know my gearing and how it works, I've come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a one size suits all perfect setup.

For my ride in and back from work, it's important that I can change down in a flash as the gradients get steeper.

A very slight slackening of the gear cable gives me an instant down change but in turn, it makes some of the changes up a bit sluggish.

I can switch down smoothly without breaking my stride but changes up invove a lot of chain clacking followed by a loud clunk.

If you think of the logic behind a 3x7 setup, there is no "sweet spot". It's a compromise at the very best.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What cassette/freewheel and derailleur are you using?

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
My take is that you need to clean everything and perhaps fit new cables.
I've done all of that.

Fact is, no matter how clean or well lubed a drivetrain is, it's impossible to get everything in perfect sync.

Small to small doesn't exactly work and neither does big to big.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Fact is, no matter how clean or well lubed a drivetrain is, it's impossible to get everything in perfect sync.
Fact is that my 17 year old 10-speed Campagnolo Chorus still changes so easily and accurately that I sometimes think that a shift didn't take place, until I look down and see that it DID!

winjim

Smash the cistern
Fact is that my 17 year old 10-speed Campagnolo Chorus still changes so easily and accurately that I sometimes think that a shift didn't take place, until I look down and see that it DID!
I don't know about triples but my Chorus 11sp just works perfectly every time.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I always know when my Campagnolo Centaur has changed gear even though with a semi 'corncob' cassette (12-25 ten speed) it can be hard to tell from the resistance with it only being a 1 tooth difference but the 'clunk chinnngggg' as every gear goes in is quite noticable. :whistle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I always know when my Campagnolo Centaur has changed gear even though with a semi 'corncob' cassette (12-25 ten speed) it can be hard to tell from the resistance with it only being a 1 tooth difference but the 'clunk chinnngggg' as every gear goes in is quite noticable. :whistle:
Some shifts definitely ARE like that! That is why the quiet ones catch me out! :laugh:

It must be dependent on some combination of load, cadence and timing of the shift.

winjim

Smash the cistern
You remembered that I had converted my bike to a triple - well done!

Many riders these days have a huge step down from 50 > 34. I have much nicer steps of 48 > 36 and 36 > 28.
Now you mention it I do remember but OP also has a triple...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Some shifts definitely ARE like that! That is why the quiet ones catch me out! :laugh:

It must be dependent on some combination of load, cadence and timing of the shift.
Don't get me wrong the gear shift is really solid but it also sounds 'solid'too

and yes there are 10 cogs on that cassette, the first 7 have 1 tooth difference and the other 3 lower gears have 2 teeth.
12 - 25 with a 53 - 39 on the front

Last edited:
Top Bottom