Indian Pacific Wheel Race

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Love the tracker https://indianpacificwheelrace.maprogress.com/# - very detailed and enjoyed rewinding the timeline to watch Frank's tag scuttle along thousands of Km's of Aussie road. Hat's off to everyone attempting the race.

I haven't read-up on the rules / details - do the stopwatch markers on the tracker map indicate where riders need to get to each day? Are they check-in points that must be reached, or just organised stopping / rest points that are targets rather than absolutes?

The stopwatch markers are just to show us distances. They have no effect on the race at all. As long as the riders ride the course they can stop and rest wherever they want, whenever they want.

For those who missed it. During the evening of Tuesday 28th March, Mike Hall overtook Kristof Allegaertand got a slight lead. Kristof is now 1km behind Mike after racing 4964km. Today will be a big day for both riders.

Just a few more stories that you may not have heard.

Lochie Kavanagh aged 18, the youngest rider in the field. Lochie approached the race the correct way. He heard about the race and thought it would be a great adventure and applied. He was surprised to be accepted as he was not a cyclist before the race. He borrowed a bike and learnt how to use clip in pedals and is currently 2448km into the race.

Nick Skewes. Early in the race Nick was suffering from saddle sores. They were so bad that he spent a day riding off the seat. The following morning he decided to abandon. But he got so frustrated at trying to get a lift for himself and his bike, that he abandoned his abandonment and heas carried on riding. He is currently 3219km into the race.

Vasiliki Voutzali from Greece. Early on in the race she developed pains in her neck and could only look at the floor. A bit like James Hayden in the TCR. She woke up one morning and followed her Garmin track for 75km in the wrong direction. OH!! Come on. Who hasnt done it??? After 75km she realised her mistake and thought about hitching a ride back to where she made the mistake. But she couldnt face that so she cycled the 75km back. Just to prove that this was no fluke. She has since ridden in the wrong direction again. At this time she is 3296km into the race, and still going.

Paul Ardill. 74 years of age. He started riding a bike at the age of 65 after a stroke. The doctor told him it would help with his balance. Apparently he rides with a meat malet on the back of his bike. He says it is to hammer his tent pegs in. Personally, I think the guy is so hard that it is for raw kangaroo steaks, if one happens to cross his path.

Since I started typing this. Kristof has overtaken Mike and is 5km ahead.

What a great race this is.

13 rider

Guru
Just had my lunchtime check up .After 4730km the leaders are 2km apart unbelievable
Frank still plugging away past 3400 km
Go Frank
Leicester Forest rider Shell still holding off frank 3600km

upload_2017-3-29_20-56-49.png

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Its 5:10 am there and, hang on a minute, they're both on the move again! There's about 125km between them and Kristof Allegaert is still out front. Come on, Mike!!

r04DiE

You keep calling Frank , Mike ! Come on Frank !!!!!!
I mean FRANK & MIKE!!

r04DiE

[QUOTE 4741746, member: 9609"]I'm thinking that the time on the tracker map is Perth time, they could now be in Sydney time which is about 3hrs later, making it 8:30am ?.

Least Mike has had some sleep (maybe 7 hours with 5 camping?) Kristoff seems to have just kept moving nearly all night, he will have to stop somewhere? won't he ?

I would never have imagined watching dots on a map could be so exciting![/QUOTE]
Yep, surely he's going to have to go to sleep soon. You could be right about timezones too.

Fingers crossed he can keep going. he's not the only one who's slowed or stalled though. Shell was stopped for a long time and everyone seems to be taking longer breaks and one of the front 10, Mitchell Luke has pulled out with illness. Only the front two have kept up the relentless pace and you wonder if one of them will crack soon.

One can, thankfully, only imagine the attritional nature of this race.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 4742021, member: 9609"]In the last 8 hours Kristoff has extended his lead from 85mile to 113 mile and is now only about 200 mile from Sydney - but with no proper rest now for 30+ hours can he keep turning the pedals.[/QUOTE]

I look at what you have written and think to myself. Oh only 200 miles to go, not much in the scheme of things with the race. But then I think.. it's still 200 MILES.
Insane.

It looks like Mike Hall overtaking Kristoff just served to motivate him. He's put in an incredible effort now, he's surely got this but then again he's been cycling continuously for over 30 hours.

Meanwhile Beth Dunne has scratched, fatigue and Juju is less than a hundred km's from overtaking the back marker. It's a shame she suffered problems early in the race as it would have been interesting to see where she would have been.

Sarah Hammond is still looking safe for third but it does look like she's paying for that surge which initially brought her in contention with the front two, which makes you think about the whole strategy of this race and getting the balance of sleep, food, miles and pace right, not too mention the sheer bloody mindedness and ability to suffer like a dog.

Top Bottom