Indoor bike for winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

Jani

As long as you have the right clothes, cycling in the cold is often better than in the sunshine.
I haven't tried it so I can't confirm. The problem is not just that it is inconvenient to ride but to get cold easily when you exercise outside.

OP
OP
J

Jani

Fighting talk there but some folk just don't fancy it.

To the OP, I've just bought a Tacx Vortex smart trainer, which I got "ex demo" for £300 from a LBS. My son linked it seamlessly via Bluetooth to an unused Apple computer which is driving a TV screen and we downloaded Zwift, which works pretty well. On my first attempt last Monday I remembered that turbo work makes you sweat like a horse so you need to protect the bike with a towel, have water to hand and remember to turn the fan up full speed. I did 26 minutes, my first exercise since my accident 2 months ago and climbed off when the sweat overwhelmed me.
That's one of the reasons why we do cycling to sweat a bit :smile:

OP
OP
J

Jani

I train indoors if it’s wet or too windy. Also if there’s ice on the road. Sometimes just for structured training, but never because it’s just cold alone.
What's the lowest temperature like there?

Skibird

I haven't tried it so I can't confirm. The problem is not just that it is inconvenient to ride but to get cold easily when you exercise outside.
I think it's just different for everyone. I love riding when it's cold and sunny, but not when it's so cold there is ice on the roads, which is usually early mornings, so I will wait a couple of hours before venturing out. If you do try it and have the right clothes, you should not get cold riding, unless you stop for extended periods of time......................unless it's inside a nice cafe or pub lol^_^. I may get myself a turbo trainer for those wet days that are just horrible, so good luck with what ever you choose.

Ice2911

Über Member
I don’t like the cold either so I use both a Turbo Trainer and Cross Tainer during the winter. If I was going for a dedicated exercise bike then I would avoid the cheap stuff and look at somthing like the Wattbike Atom.
Slightly off track but always wonder why these bikes have an aero seatpost?
Appropriate clothes and outside as much as possible. I do have an indoor bike, big fan and computer screen to watch GCN videos while I spin. Rather do this than nothing at all as my appetite stays the same whether I’ve cycled or not :sad:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thanks for the advice.
Get a dedicated turbo tyre, i tried it a standard tyre and got the black marks everywhere.

I love winter cycling, but won't criticise anyone who prefers being cozy and non-slip :okay:

I won't touch an exercise bike. The position always seems wrong. Any sort of turbo will do.
I uses to gave a cross trainer and it really increased my overall fitness. But after the cruciate thing it was too painful.
So for me it would be the turbo and my road bike.

Top Bottom