Indoor bike for winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jani

Hi Everyone,
Winter is coming soon and I am not sure zero temperatures will make it possible for me to ride bike outside however it's the only sport I'm doing. I'm wondering to buy indoor bike to do cycling indoors however I don't know if it's worth buying it. I'm considering it because what else can I do at winter? Cycling in zero temperatures can't be an option. What do you make of it?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I assume you mean something like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Home-Ind...pid=25023765122&hash=item56b21c587d:rk:1:pf:0

Why not, if you want it go for it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Turbo trainer and your bike. And then google Zwift, trainer road. Possibly invest in a smart trainer from £200 upwards.

Cycling in zero temps is absolutely fine. I actually prefer it as mud get's frozen off road. Spiked tyres for the ice (of which I have two sets for both MTB's)

Skibird

Hi Everyone,
Winter is coming soon and I am not sure zero temperatures will make it possible for me to ride bike outside however it's the only sport I'm doing. I'm wondering to buy indoor bike to do cycling indoors however I don't know if it's worth buying it. I'm considering it because what else can I do at winter? Cycling in zero temperatures can't be an option. What do you make of it?
As long as you have the right clothes, cycling in the cold is often better than in the sunshine.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Fighting talk there but some folk just don't fancy it.

To the OP, I've just bought a Tacx Vortex smart trainer, which I got "ex demo" for £300 from a LBS. My son linked it seamlessly via Bluetooth to an unused Apple computer which is driving a TV screen and we downloaded Zwift, which works pretty well. On my first attempt last Monday I remembered that turbo work makes you sweat like a horse so you need to protect the bike with a towel, have water to hand and remember to turn the fan up full speed. I did 26 minutes, my first exercise since my accident 2 months ago and climbed off when the sweat overwhelmed me.

Milzy

Guru
I train indoors if it’s wet or too windy. Also if there’s ice on the road. Sometimes just for structured training, but never because it’s just cold alone.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Wow ! how big is your house ?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Having climbed off a few hotel gym bikes with worrying aches in my knees I'd go so far as to say that exercise bikes, especially cheap ones, are the work of the Devil and quite likely to injure somebody who has got fit on their own properly set up bike. The saddles are often shaped like plastic puddings and make your bottom sweat.

southcoast

Über Member
I use one of these lol

21F26A25-74B6-4D23-8409-7D0A1F0C43EF.jpeg

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I don’t like the cold either so I use both a Turbo Trainer and Cross Tainer during the winter. If I was going for a dedicated exercise bike then I would avoid the cheap stuff and look at somthing like the Wattbike Atom.

Top Bottom