Indoor Exercise Bikes ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
I use a bkool pro which is good for indoors as it links to a pc/android/apple product which allows you to follow the route on the screen. I tend to use the videos of routes as they really help to keep me entertained rather than just staring at a wall for 2 hours. It also changes the resistance as the gradients change.

HeroesFitness

If you don't want a turbo trainer why not try a spin cycle, these can give you a pretty decent workout

Travs

Wattbikes retail at over £1000 !!!
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Way way over £1000 they are more than a grand second hand

You can buy them on finance or lease/hire them.

Use a wb at the gym and, having tried my bro's turbo - the one thing I would say about a turbo is that I had to hold back on the Zwift sprint stages as I thought I was going to tip the whole lot over. You can't seem to really go all out; so I could never do a satisfying enough max power test like 6 or 30 second etc.

Finally got a turbo I could live with last year, a turbo muin. A bit quieter and direct drive (no excess tyre wear) and I linked it up to Trainer Road which saves me getting bored and gives me results to pour over and at the moment I feel its worth while. Without the gauge effort break up runs and a noisy tyre wearer (or faff of a turbo tyre) wasn't worth it for me in the past.

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
A lot depends on what you want to achieve.
I have an excercise bike and use it during winter.....I really hate winter.
All I want from it is a) keep reasonably fit and b) not feel that I am starting "all over again" come Spring. It does that for me.

Yes...it does use different muscles but I find that a good thing. I have a road bike and a hard tail.....they REALLY use different muscles.
Honest opinion.
If you are happy removing spindle etc.every time you use it I would go for a decent turbo.
If you just want to junp on the bike as and when you feel like to then an excercise bike.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
If you're considering the gym option why not try a spinning session .
Don't have to join the gym to take part and some cycling clubs are now running these sessions for their members during the winter. The two clubs I'm involved with certainly are.
Reduced rates compared to the normal gym sessions and motivation is not normally a problem when you're sat looking at other sweat soaked suffering individuals in pain!

ericmoor

Hi, the lock down has made me added extra weight and i was thinking of burning calorie by exercising but i don't really know the best way. I have read couple of blogs on exercise bikes and think a spinning bike is going to be a good option for me to achieve weight loss while building core muscles. However, i barely know what the device is and how i can pick a good unit. Pls, can anyone recommend any good brand products as a suggestions?

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you have a normal bike? if so, consider a turbo trainer (or cycle outside for fresh air and exercise) 👍

Excercise is good for fitness and wellbeing, but you will need to modify how much and what you eat to lose weight

Mattk50

MattK50
I have a base level of exercise which is 3 x indoor trainer a week for 75 mins out in the garden watching a you tube cycling video. And then I might go for more leisurely rides if the sun is out. I'd like a smart trainer (mine is dumb), are they back in the shops yet?

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I have no problem using a Turbo Trainer throughout the winter months but I stopped cycling after the lockdown and I just couldn’t find the motivation to use the Turbo Trainer during summer. I’ve therefore ordered a Wattbike Atom (Next Generation) which will hopefully be arriving in November.

Mattk50

MattK50
I have no problem using a Turbo Trainer throughout the winter months but I stopped cycling after the lockdown and I just couldn’t find the motivation to use the Turbo Trainer during summer. I’ve therefore ordered a Wattbike Atom (Next Generation) which will hopefully be arriving in November.
How much??? That's a chunky piece of kit. How's it better than a smart trainer/zwift subscription set up which would be much cheaper?

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
How much??? That's a chunky piece of kit. How's it better than a smart trainer/zwift subscription set up which would be much cheaper?
The Wattbike is part part of my overall plan to upgrade my home gym with a variety of equipment that both my wife and I can use throughout the winter. We already have the cross trainer and streaming music (for motivation), while the Wattbike and treadmill are on order. The next thing to look at is the TV / surround sound and then we are set for winter. The Turbo Trainers have served us well, but we won’t have the space in the home gym for 2 Turbo Trainers, a treadmill a cross trainer plus an area for floor exercises. So it’s not a case of which is “best”, but rather which “best meets our needs”.

Mattk50

MattK50
Have the shops refilled with stock yet? I'd really like to buy a new smart trainer now. Months of piling on the pounds and doing nothing needs to stop!

Flavio

Regular
Over time I tried spinning in the gym, roller watching tv ... but to me they are all boring.
A few months ago I bought the interactive turbo trainer with my old bike and used the trial period of Bkool and Rouvy, now it has become very fun to ride indoor during winther season when outside is too cold (this morning -15 Celsius) ... now I have started the subscription to Rouvy :smile:

Top Bottom