Indoor Exercise Bikes ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobWard

So now the dark nights are upon us and when I get home from work all I wanna do is veg. I am worried my new cycle to loose weight will diminish into the background of another fad to lose weight.

I thought of joining a gym to use the cycle machines. But then when I worked out the membership I started to think of buying an exercise bike. That way I can come home from work jump on the bike and do an hour before relaxing.

Do any cyclist on here use these machines in house? Any tips on what I should go for?

Thanks

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Exercise bikes and turbo trainers are really boring. I think if people had to make a choice they would go with a turbo trainer as they are much cheaper and you can use your own bike. I got fed up quite quickly. Also, people prefer rollers, as at least they keep you on you're toes so to speak.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If you don't fancy getting a turbo trainer, I can recommend Kettler exercise bikes.

I got one from Fitness Superstore, they have a 3 year guarantee and seem pretty bomb proof. Experience suggests you'd be best avoiding any of the budget type exercise bikes from the likes of Argos as they seldom to last much longer than a year.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
While many people hate turbo trainers, I have successfully used a turbo trainer for the past 2 winters. However, I think there are 3 essential elements needed if you are going to stick with a turbo trainer and get any real benefit.

Firstly the motivation, which for me is maintaing my cycling fitness throughout the winter and being up and running when spring arrives.

Secondly a structured training program which you can get from any number of videos available to download from YouTube.

And thirdly a method for tracking your training sessions so you can set goals, monitor your progress and log your achievements.

A lot of people also use interactive smart turbo trainers which make the training sessions more fun, but for me I don't need this additional element.

I think i must be the only one that actualy uses the turbo all year round in preference to the roads! Get a better quality turbo linked to pc for video routes and bobs your uncle. Spare 30 mins off you go. No traffic no potholes and a ride that is quantifiable in terms of effort etc. Want to train on long hills no problem, undulating no problem, see how you would cope in the alps no problem. All imo

LocalLad

You might find the fancy interactive ones quite expensive. I wasnt sure if I'd use one, so grabbed a cheap turbo off eBay. Combined with Netflix on an old TV and I'm set.

Oh, and you'll need a fan - gets very hot!

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a York one that has served me very well for many years and hundreds of hours. Under £200 iirc, a c202 or similar now discontinued). It sits in front of the TV. Used for rehab or when weather grim

Not really the same as a road bike (esp saddle and pedals) but I don't feel safe on a turbo

I also use the recumbent one at the gym

Watt Bike. Love mine. Quality training and enough tests programmed to make tracking fitness progress easy.

screenman

Legendary Member
A friend of our watches a lot of tv and I mean 7 or 8 hours a day, get her to do any kind of excersise whilst watching the tv at the same time and she gets bored, I cannot figure that one out.

JtB

Apart from the cost of membership, I know I would not commit to using a gym throughout the winter, whereas I can easily commit to 3 x 45 minute sessions per week on a turbo trainer from the comfort of my own home. Also, the turbo trainer allows me to use my own bike rather than a machine with completely different geometry.

JtB

I have a couple of different bikes and I know from personal experience that the different geometries result in different riding positions and strains on different parts of the legs.

Top Bottom