Indoor trainers—love or hate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mpemburn

The bleak, rainy, freezy, snowy days are upon us, and there will be few decent days for riding for the next few months (granted: I am not a diehard in this respect). I have a primitive Cycleops magnetic trainer, but it’s like climbing a cliff to mount enough enthusiasm to ride the thing. I can’t really distract myself with video, etc. here because of the lack of bandwidth. Best I can do is reading a book on Kindle.

Given this, how do you maintain a positive attitude toward indoor training?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Given this, how do you maintain a positive attitude toward indoor training?
I wouldn't call it a positive attitude, but it was more positive than the alternative... :laugh:

I haven't done a lot with turbo trainers, except for one particular winter. My 15 year relationship had broken down that November and I felt like either drinking myself to death, or getting fit - I chose life!

I did a whole winter of ridiculously hard turbo training. By 'ridiculously hard' I mean being unable to walk upstairs for post-training baths - I had to crawl up on hands and knees! Still, it did the job - I lost over 2 stone in weight and must have virtually doubled my power output. By the following summer I was fitter than I had ever been before (or since).

That was a boring old 'dumb' turbo trainer though and I had worked through my angst so I couldn't face it again the following winter. If intending to really get into it now, I would get a smart model and actually enjoy the torture!

If you just want to keep reasonably fit, 3 or 4 sessions a week of about 45 minutes would do the job nicely without having to bust a gut.
These days, I just look across the room and think... "I should actually use that thing!" :okay:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
They're aren't enough daylight hours in Winter for me to cycle outside during the week. Whilst I could invest in some high powered lights, riding in the forest at night with Wild Boar and Wolves roaming around, doesn't appeal.

So riding on my trainer is the compromise and I must admit bimbling around Zwift, discovering new places or looking out for the quirky touches that the programmers have included, has a certain appeal. I also like to try the training programs which I can feel the benefits from on my Winter Weekend rides.

Generally I don't love riding inside, but I'm strongly motivated to, by the thought, that come spring I'll have a good fitness base to start riding back outside.

Drago

Legendary Member
To answer the title question I wouldn't say I hate them, I just don't dig them.

Theyre something to be used in addition to road miles, not as a substitute. "Mile" for mile they don't provide the same level of workout as actually riding, and they very quickly allow control skills, roadcraft (and racecraft) and situational awareness to degrade.

When the first rays of spring arrive one only has to see the appalling manner in which club riders wobble all over the carriageway to see the end result of a diet of indoor riding to the exclusion of all else. Indeed, in the lockdown TDF of 2020 it was very apparent who had done the indoor miles and who had done the tarmac miles.

And their very use by many presents a quandry. Folk complain they don't like the wet, cold, ice, marauding werewolves, etc, so prefer the indoor workout. All well and good, but if your riding and/or fitness is that important that you want to keep training then those challenge are actually seriously good tools to improve your fitness, endutance, environmental tolerance and skills.

Use in moderation as part of a calorie controlled diet and not, as far too many sadly do, as a means of sustenance all on its own.

In short, I'm not against them per se but more the manner in which many folk decide to use them.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I bought one as a panic buy in the first lockdown in case we couldn’t get out at all. Used it half a dozen times and hated it with a vengeance. I agree with @tyred , the indoor trainer helped me realise why I ride a bike, it’s all about the journey not the pedalling.

D

Deleted member 1258

I stopped using a turbo trainer a few years ago, when I was training i had a love/hate relationship with it, I didn't like using it but liked the fitness gains I got. In midsummer when I was club cycling, most of the lads were racing and everyone was flying, I could sit in the middle of the pack keep up and enjoy the ride.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I borrowed one for a few weeks two years ago when I was recovering from very serious health issues. It was a lifeline towards normality.

I haven't used one since and know that I wouldn't if I had one. I love gym based spinning classes but nothing solo.

In my view there is no substitute for winter miles which I do enjoy.

Norry1

Legendary Member
For me, there is plenty of room for outdoor and indoor cycling. This year I've done c5,000 outdoor and 3,600 indoor miles and both have their pros and cons.

Indoor pros include; ease of use, quality of training sessions, safety, ability to do 2 things at once if desired (eg watch something else), ability to ride with friends who are remote/overseas.

Outdoor pros include; the obvious - scenery and fresh air, maintenance of some riding skills.

So I don't see it as an either/or, more a horses for courses question.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I use mine as an alternative but even with Zwift it is boring.I have a dedicated indoor bike(Proform TDF 4.0) in the spare room and use Zwift on Apple TV linked to a 30" screen TV so at least i have something to concentrate on and music if I want.I still only do 30-40 min sessions though.How some can do 3/4/5hrs on Zwift is beyond me.
I know folk who only do indoor riding now.I have a mate who does a Zwift session at least 4 times a week and won't ride outside even in Summer:wacko:
Bizarre.

They're not for me, but I can certainly see their uses when I read inspiring stories like these.

Kenneth Judd may be 99-years-old, but he is a cycling tour de force.
The almost centenarian last month gained a silver medal in a global cycling competition that had more than 5,000 entrants.
To win second place Mr Judd pedalled 2,348 miles (3,779 km) over 26 days. That's an average of more than 90 miles per 24 hours, a distance that many of us of a younger age couldn't cycle in one day, let alone for another 25 in a row.
While he cycled, Mr Judd was able to enjoy quiet country lanes in his native Yorkshire, and the Lake District. Yet he was actually moving on the spot, using a high-tech exercise bike at a care home in Warwickshire.
Now in its fifth year, the worldwide event is called Road Worlds For Seniors. Open to elderly people, and those with dementia, participants cycle on stationary bikes made by Norwegian firm Motitech.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59317505

Top Bottom