Indoor training/racing systems.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
That's not new either. I welcome it in fact, mid december icy cold awful night risking a big off going outside, or join a race on zwift.

Zwift every time
Why are people talking about it here and why do I see advertising everywhere that I've not seen before?

OK, to preserve sensibilities, let's try again...

How about:

I wonder how long the new-found popularity* of the riding of turbo-trainer-alikes (albeit people have been doing it for decades) and the interconnected, online element, which I am reliably informed isn't new either, will last?

Snappy post, but accurate enough now, I hope?

*Although I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me that this was happening in 1472, indeed archivists are still looking at the Bayeux Tapestry** because they think there might be a bloke on a trainer on there.

**And yes, I do know it's not actually a tapestry, but let's suspend disbelief and go with what it's typically referred to.

I hope now much clearer :okay:

screenman

Legendary Member
I wonder how long the new-found popularity* of the riding of turbo-trainer-alikes (albeit people have been doing it for decades) and the interconnected, online element, which I am reliably informed isn't new either, will last?

Let us hope a long time, but then again if they go out on the road and meet some grumpy old cyclist they may think what is the point. Keep smiling.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I think like all these things there will be a group of people for whom the hi tech systems like Zwift are a logical progression from a set of rollers in the garage. There are also plenty of people with a large disposal income who will think nothing of buying an expensive bike and getting Zwift, or buying the Pelaton system, and then hardly using them, just like they don't use their David Lloyd membership.

I think the novelty will wear off for some but I can see cheaper versions of Zwift coming through. If it gets more people into cycling that's good.

Edit: Quick look on eBay shows only one Pelaton bike for sale (£1900, cost £2200 new). Either they won it in a competition or that was a very impressive impulse purchase. To be fair, you can hang a lot more clothes on them than an exercise bike.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just so I understand ... Please indulge an old fuddy duddy, I'm genuinely curious.

Zwift is the online world where you can interact in real time with other users, and can also do your own structured training, keep training records etc. There is a subscription fee. An I right so far? Yes, £12.99 a month now, !!

In order to use Zwift you need a turbo trainer. Fancier turbos will have more sensors/data (cadence, power HR etc) Tacx is an example of a turbo trainer. Still OK?

A dumb turbo will work - you'll use your Garmin cadence sensor, but Smart Turbos start at around £200 (less in a sale - e.g. Tacx T2240). You need a little ANT+ sensor for your PC, as well, which talks to the Garmin sensors and the smart turbo. It then automatically makes the turbo harder to pedal as you go up hill etc. etc. Quite clever.

You'll need an interface between the turbo and Zwift. Do you use your own tablet or is that an integral part of the turbo?

Usually a laptop/pc or apple TV. You can also use a tablet with the Zwift companion app - this lets you see an interactive map, chose courses etc, or message riders - I have my tablet next to my handlebars, with the laptop on a workbench.

You can mount any old cacky bike on the turbo. I could put my old Dawes on one (it's currently wearing studded ice tyres and sitting unused) Or is some degree of modernity required?

Any bike will work - I'm using a nice 653 Ribble road bike on mine - 25 years old (or more)

Lastly. What's BKool?

Similar to Zwift !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thanks @fossyant Food for thought.

My "training" such as it is consists of nipping out and riding up and down a nearby hill or hills for an hour or so. I only do this in winter though. And I'm very lazy so I just trundle up and down the hill so the benefits are questionable.

I use Zwift mainly in the winter, or if the weather is bad and don't fancy getting covered in mud (I've given up road riding after getting my spine broken). You'll find you are working quite hard on the turbo any way.. I also use a Garmin HR strap and two Fans - you'll need the air cooling.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Thanks @fossyant Food for thought.

My "training" such as it is consists of nipping out and riding up and down a nearby hill or hills for an hour or so. I only do this in winter though. And I'm very lazy so I just trundle up and down the hill so the benefits are questionable.
https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/virtual-training-bkool-zwift-cycleops-others.140/
:smile:

netman

Veteran
I am interested in learning more about the tech available around turbos. I assume that something like a smart trainer would come with their own service that doesn't have a subscription fee and is not as whizzy as Zwift but does have training sessions and targets and data and stuff. I'll start doing a bit of research.

They do... the Elite Novo Smart is an entry level smart trainer and is compatible with... Elite App, Zwift, TrainerRoad, Kinomap, Sufferfest, Bkool, FulGaz, PerfPro, Golden Cheetah, Veloreality

Elite app is just under £20 a year for example...

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I'm not sure I'm up to paying £150 pa for Zwift - the interaction with others/social/racing doesn't grab me and that's a key part of what you pay for so from my point of view it wouldn't be a good fit.

I am interested in learning more about the tech available around turbos. I assume that something like a smart trainer would come with their own service that doesn't have a subscription fee and is not as whizzy as Zwift but does have training sessions and targets and data and stuff. I'll start doing a bit of research.

@Mugshot I knew about the BKool CC subforum, but in typical fuddy duddy style I thought "I don't understand what that is", so I put it on ignore :smile:
I use Big Ring VR. You don't (currently) have the option of group rides or racing, which being an anti social type suits me down to the ground. I can't remember how much it is I'm sorry, I, and others of course, had the Beta testing version, they then did a special offer if you signed up when they went live. I find it a useful addition to the road if, for whatever reason, you just can't get out. It also gives me some opportunity at least to ride roads and in countries I almost certainly never will in real life. Many of the routes are spectacular.
Bkool do trainers and they have a 3 month free access to their software with your purchase, it used to be 12 months! I've not used mine as yet as I only use Big Ring.

All this indoor training stuff strikes me as being very intense and hard work, there's no kicking back and rolling downhill, no sitting up for a few miles, it's all head down and pedal like billy ho.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
All this indoor training stuff strikes me as being very intense and hard work, there's no kicking back and rolling downhill, no sitting up for a few miles, it's all head down and pedal like billy ho.
Stick an electric bike on the turbo :okay:

D

Deleted member 1258

It makes pretty much no difference. I went out to deliberately buy a cheap aluminium second hand Eastway for the turbo. It feels great but it wouldn’t in real life.
Why sweat salt all over a high end carbon bike. Any old thing will do the job fine. It’s the rider all the way mostly.
If it’s E-sports then forget what I say. A Dura ace groupset will spin ‘marginally’ better than Claris, or at least feel nicer.

There's nowt wrong with a cheap Eastway, I've got one, its a nice bike.

Venod

Eh up

You can use it how you want, I tried zwift and found it intense keeping up and chasing down other riders, you don't have to if you don't want to though, I was less impressed with the limited courses on zwift.

I now use Tacx TDA you can ride a RLV alone or in company of others, if I ride with others my competative streak kicks in so its not relaxing, I prefer to ride alone much the same as real life nowadays, go as fast or as slow as I want my Tacx Neo allows freewheeling downhill (not all trainers do) but I tend to keep pedaling, it feels odd freewheeling in the garage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom