Indoor training/racing systems.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm very lazy so I just trundle up and down the hill so the benefits are questionable.

Put in in context; a large proportion of the population spend most of their time just sitting on their arse, so compared with that sedentary baseline, all of us who do any sort of physical activity, no matter how casually, are streets ahead in fitness.
There's no need to be obsessive about "training". Just ride, walk, run, swim etc whenever the mood takes you to do it. Do as little or as much as you have the time or enthusiasm for. It all counts and even a small amount is still better than nothing.

CXRAndy

Guru
I started indoor training back in 2015 with Wahoo Kickr and Bkool simulation. It was a good introduction for me, having had a serious foot injury which I needed some form of training to regain fitness and mobility. I joined this forum and started racing with others on the Bkool platform, which was great fun and added a whole new element to training. Unfortunately Bkool altered their algorithm and spoilt their setup.

Eventually I moved onto Zwift for racing and a bit of training, I added Trainer Road to have a structure to my winters fitness regime.

Ive upgraded my setup over the years, larger screen, bigger fans, culminating in a rocker board to allow side sway to mimic road riding. It allowed for multi hour training sessions in reducing discomfort from fixed contact points. I also have a Kickr Climb, but this doesn't work with my new Tacx Neo 2 turbo.

If you want to build a good base of fitness in winter but dont fancy cold outdoor riding a decent turbo setup with Zwift is a good way to go.
Image of my TT bike on the turbo/rocker board
20190430_093418.jpg

Venod

Eh up
I don't. It's a big old investment, so it's something you'd have to use and I doubt I would. I'll stick to the occasional turbo ride with the 150-180bpm Spotify playlist.

I was an all year round rider, I would reluctantly do a Turbo session if the weather was bad, but I hated it with a passion, I bought the Neo after an accident, I was immediately impressed with it, now in the winter I still get out if the weather is OK but a lot more time is spent on the Turbo, I did Lejog on the Turbo using GPS files. As I get older riding about in the cold is less appealing than it used to be.

You get old then you die.

Last edited:

2sheds

Regular
Just started using a stand alone turbo trainer, first attempt: 24.13 on in 25 mins, inspiration? Rush live on the iPod

Top Bottom