Inefficient brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For some time now I have had little effect when using my rear brake. The brake lever feels firm when I apply it but but the brake has little effect. It is impossible to lock the wheel, (not that I would want to) and using the rear brake alone would not stop me on anything but the gentlest of slopes. I tried new blocks without success, (I use the same blocks on my other bikes and they are fine). I tried a different make of blocks, again, without success. I then called in my mobile bike mechanic and the only fault he could find was that one of the grub screws was cross threaded which I already knew about so he drilled it out and tapped in a larger thread as a tempory measure. It looks a bit Heath Robinson but it works OK. Incidently I have just replaced the wheel but the problem was there while I was still using the old one. The bike was returned yesterday and my mechanic was as baffled as I was and all he could suggest was to replace the brake with a Tektra CR720. Can any of you guys offer a suggestion as to what is going on. I have been using the same bike man for a number of years now and have never had reason to doubt his ability.

View attachment 693210

View attachment 693211

It's all about the leverage. The cable that joins two sides is too long. If you file othe ff the shiny surface, that will help with new blocks.

Top Bottom