Ineos Have Gone To The Dark Side😟😟

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Might also have something to do with Dura-Ace being di2 only.
and pinarello have just brought out a new top end disc frame for them, so thye trade the benefits of that for the disadvantage of discs. as Milzy said they still have the "old" frames available with rim brakes for more mountainous stages / races or where they cant have cars following too closely with spare bikes and need to rely on quicker wheel changes.

Its not unusual for teams to use different bikes /frames for different races, particularly the cobbles classics.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Good morning,

When it went 12 Speed Dura-Ace disc brake levers are wireless to a receiver with CR2032 batteries in the levers and a shared wired battery to the mechs.

Bye

Ian
but not truelly wireless tho is it....i mean not ETAP wireless

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This is certainly true according to the publicity, but I wonder about the reality, will there actually ever be any to buy? :smile:

I have a feeling that Shimano may be on a route to merge Ultegra and Dura-Ace to a single product line targeted at the elite race community and those who can afford but don't need it and 105 at everyone else.
It never occurred to me that it was a thing that people could actually buy. I thought it was just something you read about and watched videos about. ;)

TBH Dura Ace and Ultegra are already one product in my mind. I can never remember which one is the one that pros use, and which one is the other really expensive one.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
1632382591873.png

That's true.

Personally I don't really get the Shimano solution, I understand fully wired and fully wireless but not a hybrid.

Unless there is a rule change coming where a single bike must be used for the whole of a stage race with handlebar changes allowed. In this case being able to add and remove tri-bars with wireless shifters for a stage makes sense as would be less hassle than adding cabled tri-bars.

Maybe Shimano were simply under pressure from those producing more and more impractical, for many paying customers, "integrated cockpits", or as they used to be called handlebars and stems.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
wireless brake actuation scares the shoot out of me, its one thing the battery running down and not being able to change gears, that's merely inconvenient. Losing all ability to brake is potentially fatal. and yes a mechanical cable can snap, but its usually preceded by visible fraying etc. and chances of both snapping at same time is miniminiminiscule. whereas an electronic fault could take out both wireless brakes.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
wireless brake actuation scares the shoot out of me, its one thing the battery running down and not being able to change gears, that's merely inconvenient. Losing all ability to brake is potentially fatal. and yes a mechanical cable can snap, but its usually preceded by visible fraying etc. and chances of both snapping at same time is miniminiminiscule. whereas an electronic fault could take out both wireless brakes.
I don't think there is a wireless (or even electronic cabled) brake actuation option on the market. It's all cable or hydraulic isn't it?

Happy to be corrected.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
That's true.

Personally I don't really get the Shimano solution, I understand fully wired and fully wireless but not a hybrid.

Unless there is a rule change coming where a single bike must be used for the whole of a stage race with handlebar changes allowed. In this case being able to add and remove tri-bars with wireless shifters for a stage makes sense as would be less hassle than adding cabled tri-bars.

Maybe Shimano were simply under pressure from those producing more and more impractical, for many paying customers, "integrated cockpits", or as they used to be called handlebars and stems.
is it just to make the front end neater and more aero by getting rid of those cable around the bars / stem etc. Running a wire between the two mechs to utilise one set of batteries doesn't effect aero dynamics,and save the weight of a extra battery pack

Good morning,
is it just to make the front end neater and more aero by getting rid of those cable around the bars / stem etc. Running a wire between the two mechs to utilise one set of batteries doesn't effect aero dynamics,and save the weight of a extra battery pack
The new Di2 range has gone for even thinner wires than the previously already thin ones, so yes it is a bit neater and saves really aero bars from needing an internal channel (hole). I know that this sounds silly in the context of Di2 but wireless seems technology for the sake of because we can.

I am not sure if you are referring to SRAM here :smile: as Di2 has always had just one battery pack, originally something about the size of two AA batteries and usually mounted on the top or bottom of the down tube near the BB, or later a tube that was shoved up the seat tube.

Bye

Ian

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I am not sure if you are referring to SRAM here :smile: as Di2 has always had just one battery pack, originally something about the size of two AA batteries and usually mounted on the top or bottom of the down tube near the BB, or later a tube that was shoved up the seat tube.
what I'm saying, if you think about it, for new Di2 to be truly wireless as our hair splitting welshman suggested it would need at battery pack on each mech (like the SRAM solution). I was explaining that "wire" in new Di2 is just between the two mechs to enable them to share a battery pack.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
what I'm saying, if you think about it, for new Di2 to be truly wireless as our hair splitting welshman suggested it would need at battery pack on each mech (like the SRAM solution). I was explaining that "wire" in new Di2 is just between the two mechs to enable them to share a battery pack.
Well ... not quite. The wire between two mechs isn't just a power cable. I think the RD is the wireless receiver and transmits signals from the controls to the FD as well. The FD is just a dumb actuator. The RD has all the brains. Not that this makes a whole heap of difference, just saying.

Usual caveats apply. I don't have a clue what I'm on about.

Last edited:
Top Bottom